Alder Quarry Pond

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
MGs
Pike

Alder Quarry Pond

Post by MGs »

Having had my interest stirred by SKs post about Bradmere/Bradford pool, I began to think there may be more undiscovered gems in the west country. Having been skimming through my Marshall Cavendish Fisherman's Handbook, for some fly fishing tips, I stumbled across this:

"Eight miles east of Launceston, Alder Quarry Pond holds a fine head of fish, including roach, bream, perch and carp. It has such a good reputation that anglers travel from as far as Hampshire for a days sport"

Sounded interesting. A scan of the internet has yielded some tantalising snippets but nothing definitive.
No details about day tickets, club or syndicate membership.

http://www.fishsouthwest.co.uk/gallery_johntown.htm
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7041/6803 ... 1a70_b.jpg

The only other information being a phone number which may be long out of date. Not far from home at all, so worth a look.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Alder Quarry Pond

Post by Snape »

Looks/sounds intriguing MGs good luck with your investigations. Keep us informed.
I'm glad someone else still refers to Fisherman's handbook. I collected the whole lot as a teenager.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I chucked out my fishermans hand book when my dad moved 3 years ago.

The wife was helping me clear the loft that day, so my umming and aaahing fell on deaf ears.

Still i salvaged my old shaky Alpha, 2200II reel (which needs to go to the reel doctor now) and my old wicker basket, which needs a new carrying strap, it used to have and old bit of 60's car seat belt when I first bought it from a 2nd hand shop in the late 70's. Anyone got any Ideas.

Alder Quarry does sound interesting, google maps time i think.

Gaz

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

MGs

I had a quick dig on Google maps. there is a lake off Quarry Lane near Launceston, just behind a sportswear business called Alder sports wear, with my deer stalker on this would seem a bit of a coincidence.

Gaz

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Yep that is the place, pictured in my first post. I also found another couple of possible lakes close by on Google maps. So I think a day of exploring is called for.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

SparrowHawk
Bleak

Post by SparrowHawk »

I believe they make surfboards and wetsuits there and theres a cottage to rent.its very deep and there doesnt appear to be any marginal shelves on which to put a bait.We couldnt really work out how to fish it except with floaters.we never had a carp although we saw them om the surface.Only managed to catch a tench and that wss by accident,very interesting pond though challenging!

Velossembly
Stickleback

Post by Velossembly »

This is a really old thread so maybe no one will be following it but I have fished Alder Quarry many times and can tell you quite a bit about it. For example: how about fishing a 10m pole, to hand, just a few feet out from the bank? A good roach every time, unless one of those Spotty Herberts takes the bait on the drop.

There is much more.....

BB.

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

I know the chap who lives right next to the quarry in the old quarry managers house,he's a very accomplished carp and match angler..

Last time we fished together ,he was quite fed up due to the possibility of eco pods ,floating pods,and dogs being banned up the valley ,shame really ...I know the area well.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”