Anglers Guide list

This forum is for discussing Allcocks Anglers Guides.
Dokterhoo
Dace

Re: Anglers Guide list

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
Attached pics of Forge Mill Museum list of catalogues in their possession compiled in 1995 by the museum curator which may help.
Regards,
Dok

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I’ve just bought ((for not a large sum of money) a laminated and ring bound publication headed by a Foster Brothers of Ashbourne 1885 cover, and the contents all carry the Allcocks Stag trade mark. No dates I’m afraid, but some images by which someone might be able to pin a date - this purchase has left me asking myself why would someone use a Foster Brothers cover (which is why I bought it) and Allcocks Anglers Guide contents?

ImageImageImageImageImage
The Watcher by the Bridge

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Perhaps someone was just trying to gather information and this is how far he got

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Walkerburt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:01 pm Sorry to muddy the waters, but I’ve just bought ((for not a large sum of money) a laminated and ring bound publication headed by a Foster Brothers of Ashbourne 1885 cover, and the contents all carry the Allcocks Stag trade mark. No dates I’m afraid, but some images by which someone might be able to pin a date - this purchase has left me asking myself why would someone use a Foster Brothers cover (which is why I bought it) and Allcocks Anglers Guide contents?

ImageImage
There was a connection between Fosters and Allcocks: David Foster started out working for Allcocks. However, the contents of your wholesale catalogue are entirely unlike the 1887 retail Fosters catalogue, which contains much more unique Fosters products. Foster was always quite proud of and famous for his flies so I'd be surprised if he stocked Allcocks'. I suspect it's just a case of human error.

“The art of angling so fired his soul that he [Foster] arranged to enter the famous fish-hook manufactory of Messrs. Allcock & Co., at Redditch. The work absorbed all his powers; he originated many improvements in fishing tackle, and was justly valued for his cleverness and ingenuity.”

1885 sounds about right for the tackle; the "Eureka" reel was introduced about then, and winches that had an optional check - like the patent "Check or Plain" reel - were fairly novel (see: Slater's Combination Nottingham and Ordinary reel, c.1883).
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Barbelseeker wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:04 pm Perhaps someone was just trying to gather information and this is how far he got
Yes, I can see that - a bit like myself in many ways. Thanks for getting back to me. 👍

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Rod Fisher wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:43 pm
Walkerburt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:01 pm Sorry to muddy the waters, but I’ve just bought ((for not a large sum of money) a laminated and ring bound publication headed by a Foster Brothers of Ashbourne 1885 cover, and the contents all carry the Allcocks Stag trade mark. No dates I’m afraid, but some images by which someone might be able to pin a date - this purchase has left me asking myself why would someone use a Foster Brothers cover (which is why I bought it) and Allcocks Anglers Guide contents?

ImageImage
There was a connection between Fosters and Allcocks: David Foster started out working for Allcocks. However, the contents of your wholesale catalogue are entirely unlike the 1887 retail Fosters catalogue, which contains much more unique Fosters products. Foster was always quite proud of and famous for his flies so I'd be surprised if he stocked Allcocks'. I suspect it's just a case of human error.

“The art of angling so fired his soul that he [Foster] arranged to enter the famous fish-hook manufactory of Messrs. Allcock & Co., at Redditch. The work absorbed all his powers; he originated many improvements in fishing tackle, and was justly valued for his cleverness and ingenuity.”

1885 sounds about right for the tackle; the "Eureka" reel was introduced about then, and winches that had an optional check - like the patent "Check or Plain" reel - were fairly novel (see: Slater's Combination Nottingham and Ordinary reel, c.1883).
Hi Rod, thanks for this valuable input, there are items in there that are contemporary, so I’ll continue on that line. My main reason for buying the £20 item is that my Fosters archive is dated 1880-1890, so it fits perfectly time-wise, unfortunately not size-wise….

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
I have a copy of the same catalogue which I believe I bought at a Redditch fair some 15/20 years ago.
I have just noticed that all the tackle is named in french and german as well as english, so possibly for export orders. As far as I can tell the Allcocks illustrations are all prior to the 1901 trade catalogue which I have. The illustrations are more modern and more comprehensive in the 1901 catalogue.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember it was bought from Les Shaw who photo-copied them from an original after buying up the contents of the shop in Ashbourne when it closed.

Cheers,
Dok

Return to “Allcocks Anglers Guides”