Vintage Bamboo Bank Stick

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Andrew Field

Vintage Bamboo Bank Stick

Post by Andrew Field »

I found this bamboo bank stick at a car boot sale, i bought it along with another which were inside an old leatherette bag. Does anyone know if its a home made item or would they have been bought from a tackle shop. I have never seen one before, not a bad buy for 50p!!

The brass rest is threaded and removes from the collar.

There's a shaped spike to push into the ground, it has a weathered patina and looks to have had a few coats of paint that have worn away over the years. I have used it a few times, much to the distain of my friends!! Ha!! I thought you guys might like to see it and perhaps might know a little about it other than the obvious, i have never seen one before, im guessing its a rare item.

Michael
Tench

Re: Vintage Bamboo Bank Stick

Post by Michael »

Many years ago, I had a rod rest of similar design, but larger, no makers name, but described to me when I bought it, as a beach rod rest. Other than the size they are almost identical.....

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

Perhaps this one has been cut short at some point in its life.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Your never get that to float Scarecrow! :hahaha:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

Bit of red paint o the tip and it will be fine

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Not a bad buy at all for 50p Andrew..and not too difficult to make by the look of it..The end which goes into the ground looks like a piece of steel tubing which has been flattened over..?

All you would need to make one is a piece of garden cane, a bit of brass rod and some tubing... Hmmmm...might give this one some further thought..

Thanks for posting,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Where am I when these bargains pop up!! :think:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

watermole+ wrote:Not a bad buy at all for 50p Andrew..and not too difficult to make by the look of it..The end which goes into the ground looks like a piece of steel tubing which has been flattened over..?

All you would need to make one is a piece of garden cane, a bit of brass rod and some tubing... Hmmmm...might give this one some further thought..

Thanks for posting,

wm+
I think you could be right about the tubing, it looks a little bulky but it pushes into the ground reasonably easy. The brass head seems to screw into the cane rather than the metal collar which is surprisingly rather effective.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I'd think the problem would be retrieving the ground-spike, rather than getting it into the round - does the cane have a screw fitting mounted on it, and a corresponding thread inside the spike, so it can give a positive pull on the spike?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Andrew Field

Post by Andrew Field »

They were a little loose when i got them so i removed the ends, cleaned them up and replaced them with coat of glue, they seem very secure now. I have used them several times and not had a problem yet.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”