Bennetts Bait and Tackle Shop

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Bennetts Bait and Tackle Shop

Post by Mark »

I just heard the sad news that Stuart is closing the Bennetts Bait and Tackle shop in Mountsorrel. The shop is less that 100 yards from the river Soar and was originally opened in the late 1950’s and I personally have used the shop since the early 1970’s.

Another tackle shop gone, such a shame.

Here is the announcement which was on Facebook this morning.

“Good morning everyone, as you've been aware the shop has been shut for a few days and unfortunately I have decided to shut permanently. With the uncertainty of the building we are in, being up for sale and there being no suitable alternative for us to move to, coupled with the current economic climate and poor trading conditions this winter it's now become financially impossible to carry on. We've had eleven great years there with some ups and downs and I've been fortunate enough to meet and become friends with some great people and I'll miss you all. Oliver will be carrying on with Lures & Order so please carry on supporting him where you can. For me I'll be hanging up my waders for a while and spending a bit more time with my family. I would just like to thank everyone who has supported the shop in the time we've been there and you'll all be missed. I'll still be out and about on the bank at some point but for now take care everyone and I'll seen soon.”

Picture courtesy of Paul - From 2019 when Martin, Tam, Dave and Paul came for a few days fishing.

From left to right: Dave, Tam, Stuart, Martin and Mark.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Martin James
Tench

Re: Bennetts Bait and Tackle Shop

Post by Martin James »

I am very sorry to hear this bad news, I have always said “If you don't use it, you will lose it”. I enjoyed my many visits to this shop, getting lots of good information, tackle at competitive prices with high quality bait, also a place to purchase club cards and guest permits.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

That’s a shame as it’s “my local “, having said that, I am not surprised, don’t think Stuart had enough trade to make a living.
People buy bait and permits ( permits are a service for local clubs as the shop takes no money) but not a lot else.

Net busters in Loughborough has good parking and is well stocked, but they are a bit cliquey for my liking.
If I am out that way, I will use soar tackle in kegworth but again, I don’t know how he makes a living.

Most tackle shops must be struggling as too many use them as a free showroom before buying online.
Then they complain when the bricks and mortar shops close down :hairpull:

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Homer I agree with you.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Homer Simpson wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:16 pm That’s a shame as it’s “my local “, having said that, I am not surprised, don’t think Stuart had enough trade to make a living.
People buy bait and permits ( permits are a service for local clubs as the shop takes no money) but not a lot else.

Net busters in Loughborough has good parking and is well stocked, but they are a bit cliquey for my liking.
If I am out that way, I will use soar tackle in kegworth but again, I don’t know how he makes a living.

Most tackle shops must be struggling as too many use them as a free showroom before buying online.
Then they complain when the bricks and mortar shops close down :hairpull:
I agree it's a shame, but if you want to be in the tackle trade you have to have an online shop, as well as an actual one, if you want to stay in business. The world has moved on and almost anything can be got on-line with less trouble than driving to the nearest tackle shop, even maggots.

You can argue that the world is worse for it, you may even be right, but the clock won't roll back.

The show-room aspect is a tricky one. I've priced items (not fishing tackle) on-line then tried to get shops to match the price for the same item, because I'd rather buy local. No-one ever has matched a price, even when it's only was £10 or £20 on £200-300 or so. Generally the response is "I can't sell it for that." It can seem as if some people would rather not make a sale at all, rather than make one at a lower profit. Like I said, the world has moved on. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”