Daves' Huge Chub meets the Princess of Wales.

This forum is for discussing chub.
Fredline
Tench

Daves' Huge Chub meets the Princess of Wales.

Post by Fredline »

Today on the River Lea Dave did not see another soul due to the weather, probably. He was disappointed not to have a picture of the chub in his hands. So, channeling my inner Kate Middleton I obliged. The chub is actually the fish he caught but not the River Lea.
Last edited by Fredline on Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Daves' Huge Chub meets the Princess of Wales.

Post by Duckett »

:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Who remembers the pike (whitehall ?) that appeared after being " lost" by a taxidermist
much longer than before?

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Yes, it was actually about 32lbs and submitted by an angler for stuffing. After a few months he was told that the fish hadn't dried out properly or suchlike and had been thrown away. Not long afterwards the taxidermist (Roy Whitehall) claimed a new record with a fish over 40lbs. But some people smelt a rat. The witness as an old lady walking her dog. Diligent work by Martin Gay proved that it was the 32lb fish that had been stretched based on the fact the pike markings are like a fingerprint.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

DaceAce wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:48 pm Yes, it was actually about 32lbs and submitted by an angler for stuffing. After a few months he was told that the fish hadn't dried out properly or suchlike and had been thrown away. Not long afterwards the taxidermist (Roy Whitehall) claimed a new record with a fish over 40lbs. But some people smelt a rat. The witness as an old lady walking her dog. Diligent work by Martin Gay proved that it was the 32lb fish that had been stretched based on the fact the pike markings are like a fingerprint.
Noting that Martin Gay is no longer with us, and with an apology if I am going slightly ‘off piste’, do you know Mark, what was the truth in the story behind Martin and the very large common carp/s he caught, that ‘rocked the specimen world’ back in the day?

There was some suggestion they were Canadian fish I recall, but I don’t want to call into doubt a highly respected angler that is not with us to comment, but there may be an acceptable explanation for what happened at that time without upsetting anyone.

Do you happen to know about that?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm
DaceAce wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:48 pm Yes, it was actually about 32lbs and submitted by an angler for stuffing. After a few months he was told that the fish hadn't dried out properly or suchlike and had been thrown away. Not long afterwards the taxidermist (Roy Whitehall) claimed a new record with a fish over 40lbs. But some people smelt a rat. The witness as an old lady walking her dog. Diligent work by Martin Gay proved that it was the 32lb fish that had been stretched based on the fact the pike markings are like a fingerprint.
Noting that Martin Gay is no longer with us, and with an apology if I am going slightly ‘off piste’, do you know Mark, what was the truth in the story behind Martin and the very large common carp/s he caught, that ‘rocked the specimen world’ back in the day?

There was some suggestion they were Canadian fish I recall, but I don’t want to call into doubt a highly respected angler that is not with us to comment, but there may be an acceptable explanation for what happened at that time without upsetting anyone.

I know of the story but not the absolute truth.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

DaceAce wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:21 pm
Tengisgol wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:18 pm

I know of the story but not the absolute truth.
Thanks - best leave that there in the annals of history!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

On a lighter note!

Here is a picture of Ade Bristow with a massive Chubb:

Taken many years ago after a few beers when we were staying at the Bat and Ball and fishing at Hale Park.

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”