Bamboo Bank Sticks

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Bamboo Bank Sticks

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Over the slow winter period I have busied myself making more Bank Sticks.
Not having access to split cane i have for a number of years been using Garden Canes. I select a suitable thickness and cut to the necessary lenght paying attention to ensure I have about five or six inches above a node for the top of the stick. I then whip, using strong thread, below the node. This is extra insurance to make sure that when I split the cane above the split doea not continue below. Try to acheive an even half and half split. Using a piece of wood I cut a triangle and shape it to insert in the inner curve of the cane and carefully push down until the requisite width is acheived. Clean in the inner "fuzz" away and then glue it into place. The two arms are then whipped with thread or string to give protection to the rod surfaces.
At this point I "flame" the cane. The bottom end is finished with a piece of dowel. wood or metal for extra strenght. At this point i use my old ends of whipping thread to "decorate the shaft".
Finally i paint the bottom with "Hammerite" black paint, this gives added wear and a coupkle of coats of yacht varnish finishes the whole bank stick. These last well and only need a repaint of the bottom even couple of years. I do add an elastic band to the top for adjustment.
Have a look at the photos.
Time well spent, memories remembered and future forays anticipated.
Mike
ImageImageImageImageImage

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Bamboo Bank Sticks

Post by Pallenpool »

Very nice too. :Thumb:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

This demonstrates why this forum is so nice. A choice- go out and buy a cheap modern bankstick or spend much more on the components and extras to make your own- and then spend hours completing the build. Bravo!

( I am not brave enough to post images of my efforts😆)

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Nice job there Mike… :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Very nice.

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Thanks for the kind words.
This will give me inspiration to carry on bodging and delay visits to tackle shops and their vast array of necessary? Gadgets. Most designed to catch anglers rather than fish?

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Very traditional. Well done!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”