A Fistful of Korka's

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

A Fistful of Korka's

Post by Rockape »

I had waited so long to own a TJ Harrington Korka (I did end up with Russell Brown's boxed reel, which was very cool, cheers Russ!), and then (like buses) 4 came along at once.
Two of these need work, but the other two are mechanically sound.
This makes a total of 6 Korkas in my collection (time to stop perhaps?), so I am planning to restore one of them to as new as possible (by the way I am desperately in need of a TJ Harrington Bantam, if anyone has one to spare, even as parts only? name your price).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Re: A Fistful of Korka's

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:20 pm I had waited so long to own a TJ Harrington Korka (I did end up with Russell Brown's boxed reel, which was very cool, cheers Russ!), and then (like buses) 4 came along at once.
This makes a total of 6 Korkas in my collection (time to stop perhaps?), so I am planning to restore one of them to as new as possible (by the way I am desperately in need of a TJ Harrington Bantam, if anyone has one to spare, even as parts only? name your price).
6 is not even remotely adequate.A serious collector will have 11 at least.Now,for goodness sake,put down that vodka martini and start perusing 'that auction site' because your B I N finger is beginning to atrophy.....Russ 😎

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:13 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:20 pm I had waited so long to own a TJ Harrington Korka (I did end up with Russell Brown's boxed reel, which was very cool, cheers Russ!), and then (like buses) 4 came along at once.
6 is not even remotely adequate.A serious collector will have 11 at least.Now,for goodness sake,put down that vodka martini and start perusing 'that auction site' because your B I N finger is beginning to atrophy.....Russ 😎
:Chuckle:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Update:
So, 6 Korka's in total; 2 very nice examples, 2 average and 2 in pieces (one had a twisted foot, opposite twist to that of Russell's Magnet, and one had a leaning stem!...did these really pass QC at the Magda factory!!??).

Here are the best two examples (one restored):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rockape on Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

The restored reel:

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: ↑Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm Update:
So, 6 Korka's in total; 2 very nice examples, 2 average and 2 in pieces (one had a twisted foot, opposite twist to that of Russell's Magnet, and one had a leaning stem!...did these really pass QC at the Magda factory!!??).

Here are the best two examples (one restored):
Nice work,perfect pictures.I can imagine that stripping down a TJH reel and doing a full refurb would improve it a great deal.When I did the same to an Omnia,with the paint removed the 'naked' parts were of low quality.Quite a few rough edges too that were sorted with a needle file.An application of fresh grease and good to go.I'd put it back together having polished it to a shiny gleam.It looked like a WW2 explosive device.I had just purchased a Dremel and was hell bent on polishing SOMETHING.....Oh,and I'm now fully equipped to drill teeth.Anaesthetic by dint of intravenous Jack Daniel's.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Cheers Russ, thank you.

Yes, I did indeed file down the rough edges, and there were plenty of them, but as you say, well worth the effort.
TJH quality makes Intrepid look like Rolls Royce..lol!

Funnily enough, I also polished up an Omnia. It would have looked better if done on a wheel, but I don't have access to such luxuries..sadly.

The search for a Bantam continues; the one I have is missing some major parts and one side panel has a broken off (missing) gear stud. I would love to do a full restoration on one of those.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Rockape wrote: ↑Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 pm Cheers Russ, thank you.

Yes, I did indeed file down the rough edges, and there were plenty of them, but as you say, well worth the effort.

Funnily enough, I also polished up an Omnia. It would have looked better if done on a wheel, but I don't have access to such luxuries..sadly.

The search for a Bantam continues; the one I have is missing some major parts and one side panel has a broken off (missing) gear stud. I would love to do a full restoration on one of those.
Hunting down missing parts is what keeps us going.Rest assured another Bantam WILL show up for repairs/parts.Inevitable.Regarding Intrepid quality may I submit the Intrepid De Luxe.A 12th Century abomination.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:01 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:44 pm Cheers Russ, thank you.

Hunting down missing parts is what keeps us going.Rest assured another Bantam WILL show up for repairs/parts.Inevitable.Regarding Intrepid quality may I submit the Intrepid De Luxe.A 12th Century abomination.
Cheers for the encouragement Russ, and yes the de luxe is somewhat 'special'
My comparison was unfair really, because I was comparing TJH reels with the later New De Luxe era Intrepids, which were far superior to the original (TJH era) intrepids...in my opinion.

Here is a photo of your old Magnet foot alongside a not quite so bad Korka foot and the bent stem of the other Korka body.
Cast aluminium usually breaks when forced, so these were either a weird factory anomoly or genuine 'unbroken' damage...Strange?

Ah!... Why the black handle grip on the Magnet I hear you ask, well, lets just say the Magnet now has a new straight foot casting.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

I really wanted to straighten that Magnet foot but I was too scared to attempt it.Bit more...bit more.....just a little bit more................. OH DEAR.

Return to β€œOther Reels”