Cherry Brand.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Wamfess
Ruffe

Cherry Brand.

Post by Wamfess »

:surrender: I have come into possession of a Cherry Brand split cane rod. I would say cheap and cheerful. Anyone have any idea who made them? I suspect they may be from Japan, but can't find anything at all about them on the great interwibble.

Crucian
Eel

Re: Cherry Brand.

Post by Crucian »

I remember seeing cherry brand chisels in a hardware shop, I was an apprentice carpenter at the time. I believe they were made in Germany, but I could be wrong, it was a long time ago…

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

Thanks Crucian, the chisel company I think was 'Two Cherries', they were German, but its not the same mob.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I've just found a picture on the internet of a Cherry Brand rod.
It looks to be a spin/ fly rod combination set and comes in a wooden case.
It's typical of generic affordable Japanese cane rods of the sixties and early seventies .
I had a simple , non-combo, fly rod version given to me as a present by a non fishing relative when l was young .
It survived boyish abuse long enough to become my first fly rod when l did take up trout fishing much later.
Slightly "tinny" chrome reel seat and ferrules and green whipping if l recall. It also had a spare tip. I can't remember the trade name but l do remember it was Japanese.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Wamfess
Ruffe

Post by Wamfess »

I am coming to that conclusion myself. When I first saw it I thought it was possibly Japanese. Thanks for you input. The rod you describe sounds very much like a rod my brother gave me years ago to practice rod restoration. I believe all rods should bear a name so I called it 'Dave's Crappy', ( after he said to me "see what you can do with this crappy thing". )and It now has a place of honour amongst my restores as my brother since passed on. Thanks again for taking time to reply.
Bill

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”