Neo Caster, why also made in UK?

The Other Reels forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Neo Caster, why also made in UK?

Post by Olly »

I would point out that I have 6 multipliers - all ABU - 323: 4600: 5600 x 2: 6000 x 2 - which I bought and learnt to use some 30 years later in the 90's.
Personally I enjoy using them for pike with larger-heavier - lures/jellies/plugs/etc and for cats when abroad.

ABU designed and made the closed face reels for spinning/lure fishing as well with the original 507 being a salmon reel!

Rod Fisher
Roach

Post by Rod Fisher »

Rockape wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:44 am
Olly wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:06 pm Never seen one - in the '60s multipliers were a 'thing of the sea' - beach casting or from a boat.
American anglers use small multipliers in freshwater fishing a lot more than we do in the uk, and so this would have been normal for freshwater over there.
There have been small numbers of anglers using American-style multipliers here for freshwater spinning since the early 1900s at least. Chancellor Levison furnished Frenchman Louis Bouglé with a full US baitcasting outfit in 1901, which influenced uptake in France. L. J. Graham-Clarke tried Bouglé's baitcasting tackle in Germany, and converted to the short American rods and multipliers thereafter, which he used to catch salmon up to 30lb.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Rod Fisher wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:46 am
Rockape wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:44 am
Olly wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:06 pm Never seen one - in the '60s multipliers were a 'thing of the sea' - beach casting or from a boat.
American anglers use small multipliers in freshwater fishing a lot more than we do in the uk, and so this would have been normal for freshwater over there.
There have been small numbers of anglers using American-style multipliers here for freshwater spinning since the early 1900s at least. Chancellor Levison furnished Frenchman Louis Bouglé with a full US baitcasting outfit in 1901, which influenced uptake in France. L. J. Graham-Clarke tried Bouglé's baitcasting tackle in Germany, and converted to the short American rods and multipliers thereafter, which he used to catch salmon up to 30lb.
Being an avid shore fisherman here in Dorset, I love using ABU 6500 reels (and a few Daiwas too), but I must admit to never using one, or seeing anyone else use one (baitcaster) in any other fishing scenario, but I can well imagine them being quite popular on lakes and rivers in the UK back in the day, but hopefully that is all to change for me.

Coincidentily, I am sitting here restoring a nice ABU 6500 Chrome Rocket.

I have a nice Pflueger Skilkast and another Pflueger Summit due to arrive soon, and being inspired recently by a YouTube video of a chap fishing for pike with his grandfathers rod and reel (a Pflueger Summit), I may soon be giving all mine a go on the lake myself.

:Hat:

Return to “Other Reels”