The first fly I've ever tied!

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: The first fly I've ever tied!

Post by Tonytoned »

Mr B wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:22 am Well done Tony, a pretty little fly you have tied there... those black flys always seem to do the trick some how.
Mr B
Thank you Mr B. I might try something a bit more simple next time.

:Hat:

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's an excellent first attempt and a very useful general pattern :Thumb:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

A fly that can represent all manner of insects, and very well tied it is too Tony. Well done. Like watermole said, with hatches of hawthorns and beetles in good numbers, your first fly will catch some fish.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Liphook wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:25 pm That's an excellent first attempt and a very useful general pattern :Thumb:
Thank you Liphook :Hat:

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Ian wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:48 pm A fly that can represent all manner of insects, and very well tied it is too Tony. Well done. Like watermole said, with hatches of hawthorns and beetles in good numbers, your first fly will catch some fish.
Thanks Ian it does sound encouraging. :Hat:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

You better tie some more. With those colors I can easily see the fish hitting them hard.
For your first time you did a fantastic job and you're only going to get better. Watch as many tying videos on flies you want to learn because everyone has their own tricks and that helps beginners to find what works best for you.

One of the things I tell people tying is go as slow as you need to. It's not a race. Most of all have fun with it.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Iasgair wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:44 pm You better tie some more. With those colors I can easily see the fish hitting them hard.
For your first time you did a fantastic job and you're only going to get better. Watch as many tying videos on flies you want to learn because everyone has their own tricks and that helps beginners to find what works best for you.

One of the things I tell people tying is go as slow as you need to. It's not a race. Most of all have fun with it.
Thanks lasgair, that is very kind of you and encouraging. I will watch some videos and take tips. That is good too, to take your time, mind that fly took me about 2 hours in all.

I have been watching videos Trout and fly related from America. The Catskill fly tying guild ones are very interesting. Lee Wulff, Tight Loops, Everett Garrison the rod is also very good and many more. I love the history and approach of fly fishing in the USA. the vast wilderness and beauty is breathtaking.

:Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I can supply free of charge most types of fur and feather for those who tie their own flys. All I ask is that you make a small donation to the TFF.
Mark Davies

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Yep, you'll catch a lot of fish on that pattern. I've had trout, grayling, chub and dace on it and similar patterns I've tied myself, although I haven't been fly fishing for years now.
To my mind, simplicity is important. Most of the time the fish won't care whether it matches something natural. If it looks like it could be food they'll try it.
In saying this I'm aware there are many people who take great pleasure in tying complicated patterns and catching fish on them. To them it's all part of the sport, and that's great. I admire their skill, just as I admire that of persons who make float making and rod building an art form.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Nice! When will this fly be given some fly time?
Penninelad wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:15 am I can supply free of charge most types of fur and feather for those who tie their own flys. All I ask is that you make a small donation to the TFF.
that is very kind of you sir :Hat:

Return to “Fly Tying”