Roger Surgay Severn Trotter

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
David
Dace

Roger Surgay Severn Trotter

Post by David »

Hi all. Do any members have experience of the Trent Trotter centrepin ? A number are appearing in the market for sale at the moment. I know they are quite inexpensive, so I was just wondering if the are not very good. They seem to look the part but are they another cheap reel that lets the line foul behind the spool ? :hairpull: Hi All I have added to this post that the reel is not called the Trent Trotter but The Severn Trotter Sorry !! :Beg:
Last edited by David on Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bayleaf
Bleak

Re: Roger Surgay Trent Trotter

Post by Bayleaf »

I've no experience of a Trent Trotter but have used a Marco Cortesi for many years with no problems, well, no more than my Avon Royal Supreme. Or, dare I mention it my Intrepid Match, a good little reel for stalking, you wouldn't want to trot with it though!

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks Bayleaf for the info.
Last edited by David on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Not really answering your question I'm afraid but I bought two of his "signature" series rods recently and the quality of those was excellent.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks Polecat It looks like they may be worth acquiring for general have a go fishing. I have built up a small collection ( 15 ) of centrepins and should I get one it would be just a workhorse reel and not for my collection

David
Dace

Re: Roger Surgay Severn Trotter

Post by David »

Hi I have purchased 2 of these reels and found they are very well made and work perfectly. Of course I don't know how long they will last but they spin very freely and in fact they completely out spin my 5 brand new J W Youngs reels with bearings. For £50 or so, I believe they are very good value for the money. I let my Grandson who likes trotting the river, use one a couple of times, and he said that it worked as good as his Youngs pins. He did say that he would have preferred a different shaped check lever, but did not have a major issue with its current one though he thought it a little fiddly to use one handed. When I first asked a question about these reels i made a mistake and called it the Trent Trotter, however I added an amendment to the original post to correct the mistake.

David
Dace

Post by David »

As an addition to my thoughts about this reel. After using it in a very small trial, I found out that there is a slight problem to the check lever. I used it for a little over an hour as I am still having problems after my shoulder replacement. A couple of times whilst trotting on the Trent my little finger brushed against the lever and it instantly flicked to on. this stopped the trot and I had to turn it off again. Obviously, after that experience I would adjust my hand position in the future. Apart from that the reel trotted perfectly. Although I did not catch any fish during that short test, I went through the motion a few times of pretending to land a fish and I found that it was easy to touch the lever to put the check on to stop over runs when holding the landing net in the other hand, so I suppose that was a bit of a plus point.

Titus
Ruffe

Post by Titus »

I have used one of these for carping for a few years and never had a problem great reels for the money, and saves wear on the more expensive pins .also they look ok on a mklv rod

Gone Fishing
Dace

Post by Gone Fishing »

I have already considered this reel. Thanks for the information. Does this centrepin have ball bearings?
Markus
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I see an advantage in using any of these cheapie Chinese reels or indeed a well used
basic " classic"- overcoming any minor glitches is part of the fun

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”