Salt water and barbour jackets?

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Bobthefloat
Zander

Salt water and barbour jackets?

Post by Bobthefloat »

Will exposure to salt water ruin my beloved Solway jacket and or zips ect I'd rather not find out the hard way!
Has anyone had any experience of this?
:Hat:

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Salt water and barbour jackets?

Post by Catfish.017 »

I used a Solway Zipper for all my angling Sea, Coarse and Game and dog walking. I don’t recall any particular problems with salty conditions and I’m hard on my clothing. So much so that mine wore out in seven years (cuffs and sleeves mainly)

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Not quite the answer to your question, though like Catfish's my wax jackets have been used for everything and have only succumbed to eventual wear and rips .
I think a very old Barbour advert featured a chap who had fallen in the sea and survived because of his waxed jacket . Come to think of it ,weren't counrtypersons' waxed jackets a development of the oiled smocks and jackets used by people like shepherds and boatmen?
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Used one for years of wildfowling and fishing, often appropriately on the Solway merse (saltwater marsh) I also have a Longshore smock and DPM camo that was issued to my dad. All the metal bits like zips, drainage rivets and poppers can corrode eventually if not looked after. Whilst they look classic/tatty, I'd rather be warm and dry so they've been superceded by modern materials.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've been sea fishing from the shore for over half a century so here's what I've learnt about clothing.

It's many years since I wore a waxed jacket on the beach but as far as I can recall I found that well waxed jackets are slightly sticky and end up with sand stuck to them particularly in the creases. This combined with movement is not desirable as it will lead to excessive wear. Regarding the zips I think mine were brass which is more resistant to corrosion but will deteriorate. Being splashed with salt water will leave a salt deposit when it dries out. This should be washed off as salt is hygroscopic and attracts moisture so probably not desirable in a wax jacket. If you ever get saltwater into your wellingtons or waders always wash out with warm water to remove the salt otherwise they will will remain damp for evermore also if they are cotton lined the lining will eventually rot.

I've discussed wet weather gear for use in sea fishing on a couple of websites and have been critical of Gortex which is easily damaged and requires regular maintenance. The breathability of Gortex and it's advantage are greatly exaggerated.

https://andrewskurka.com/why-im-hard-on ... f-hype-tm/

Both waxed jackets and Gortex type clothing will be fine for the odd trip to the beach but for long term use the best clothing is that preferred by commercial fishermen made of PVC/cotton as produced by the "Guy Cotton" company, there are others. They are 100% waterproof, tough, easily repairable and need no maintenance. As far as condensation and breathability is concerned just buy a size that gives a loose fit and allows air to circulate which provides a better solution than any breathable material.

I normally wear a long jacket/wader combination which is less prone to over-heating than a one piece suit or jacket and trousers when walking any distance. When stood in the surf I use a chestwader/short jacket combination. I also have a bib and brace option which is particularly useful when boat fishing and also a warm option in winter when fairly static. Front opening jackets are the best option for maintaining temperature when fishing on the move. Open them up when on the move and close them up as you cool off.

Last edited by Phil Arnott on Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobthefloat
Zander

Post by Bobthefloat »

Thank you very much for the replies chaps :Hat:

Bayleaf
Bleak

Post by Bayleaf »

As I understand it after many years in the hills in the UK and Alps Gortex ceases to work once the shell is soaked. Because of this the outer needs to shed water so must be kept clean and treated. For fishing I wear either a wax stockman coat, great for keeping the legs dry or a modern peached nylon breathable two piece that's about 15 years old now.

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”