The Rod Hutchinson and Chris Yates Legacy

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Walkerburt
Roach

Re: The Rod Hutchinson and Chris Yates Legacy

Post by Walkerburt »

Still finding it difficult to find publishers rehashing old articles to make up another book…
The Watcher by the Bridge

SussexMan
Dace

Post by SussexMan »

As a long time bibliophile and in view of the cost of newly published books, it is really frustrating when publishers verbally over-promote, while showing relatively little of the contents of a book.
As a future guide to encouraging a prospective buyer, I'd suggest the following minimum data from publishers as being helpful:
Total no. of pages, the book's size, whether photos (if any) are colour or b&w, a list of the chapters (i.e. the Contents page), whether it is non-fiction or not, whether it is based on UK fishing or International.
In recent years it has often paid to wait until a book is second-hand before deciding whether its launch price was justified. Simply announcing that a book is 'great' means nothing.

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

Can only agree with that SussexMan,

Other criteria for me:

Ist Edition? 1st Edition thus?

Reprints of books by authors long since deceased (J.J. Hardy, B.B. Sheringham, Dennis Pye et al). Reprint with author’s name not featured (Michael Traherne, B.B. was the illustrator)

Signed copies. Signed by author/publisher (a joke surely)? Signed by all contributors? How do they do that and keep the book new? Rhetorical question there.

Limited edition. How many published? Numbered? No 2nd edition? Seconds? (FFCL early titles)

Honestly, I have stopped buying new books now, they are a parody of books written by real anglers.
The Watcher by the Bridge

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”