Robert Marshall Scott Hardy Altex no.2 mk.V strip and restore. Another project! Completed!

The Hardy Reels forum.
Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Robert Marshall Scott Hardy Altex no.2 mk.V strip and restore. Another project! Completed!

Post by Woodbilly »

Aquired this Altex no.2 mk.V with a/r switch awhile back. I've been fishing it after a re-oiling and it works good, but the a/r is a bit cricky and upon retrieval, it has a slight catch.

Since I've restored a couple of basket cases, previously, and they turned out great, I think this one is ready for a stripping.

I haven't done one with a/r switch, but feel it isn't impossible and will proceed carefully with lots of pictures for reassembly. I've read the a/r is a bear to get back together, but with total strip, not impossible.

Since i have several original finish Altex's already, im going to paint this one and polish all brightwork as usually done.

Not sure of the year on this one, but I figure it is a later model, as it has the last version of handle retaining nut..
It needs new fiber drag washer, but other than that, it's complete.

More to come!

Peace!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Woodbilly on Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steven Wecker
Ozark hills Lake of the Ozarks Missouri, USA

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good fishing story."

"Thousands have lived without love. None without water."

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Re: Robert Marshall Scott Hardy Altex no.2 mk.V strip and restore. Another project!

Post by Woodbilly »

Hey all!

Got the Robert Marshall Scott Altex no.2 mk.V, completely stripped down, today.

This reel is definitely different than the older Altex's I've worked on.

It has 2 slider blocks vs. one on all others I have seen.
It also has 6 bearings vs. 5, in the other's.
The drive gear is also double geared. One for the worm gear and another, on the backside, for the a/r pawl.

It also had one lone screw on body that went to nothing.
Only purpose I could possibly think of was to keep the eccentric arm from rocking internally, by means of the screw stud protruding inside body, acting as a bump stop. ??

Has anyone ever seen a Altex with 2 slider blocks and the screw to nowhere? I have seen zero reels, online, with this.

This one posed a few challenges. Thank goodness for my parts reels. Lol

Disassembly went smoothly until the bail arm/ roller screw had to be removed. It would only come out 2 turns and then seize up. I tried filing the backside in case the stud end happened to be slightly riveted, but still no luck. Had to drill it out and hit the parts bin. Problem solved.

The 2nd slider block screws would not budge. The other block screws came out simply.
I fiddled with them, to no avail and boogered them up badly. I just had to end up drilling and tapping them free.
Again, to the parts bin. My parts bin screws need a bit of tidying with a needle file, but fit fine. I'm also saving the drilled screws, as they have enough meat on the head to make into allen screws for parts.

I had to remove flier and dust cover, to fully get to the a/r switch and pin. Once dust cover was removed, pin was extracted easily. I can see why this part of the mk.V cannot be serviced without strip down. I assume, virtually impossible to get to from side access opening.

I also had to modify my collet removal tool, as it was to wide to get down into the longer no.2 body. A few passes on the bench grinder and it was good to go. I haven't done a no.3, yet, so I may need a longer one for it. IDK

Well, it's coming along with hiccups, but stripped and ready for cleaning and polishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Woodbilly on Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Steven Wecker

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Re: Robert Marshall Scott Hardy Altex no.2 mk.V strip and restore. Another project!

Post by Woodbilly »

More pictures
Last edited by Woodbilly on Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Wecker

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Post by Woodbilly »

More pictures
Steven Wecker

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Post by Woodbilly »

The paint I have chosen for the Altex resto...

Dupli-color Engine enamel with ceramic.
Sprayed a bunch and this one was closest to match and still a matte color with a slight gloss. Not perfect, but good enough for the girls I date.
Last edited by Woodbilly on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Wecker

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I am looking forward to the end result. :Thumb:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Excellent photographs and insight to this project Strphen👍 I too look forward to seeing your progess and final outcome :Hat:

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Post by Woodbilly »

Pallenpool wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:52 pm I am looking forward to the end result. :Thumb:
Thank you!
Steven Wecker

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Post by Woodbilly »

Liphook wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:18 pm Excellent photographs and insight to this project Strphen👍 I too look forward to seeing your progess and final outcome :Hat:
Thank you!
I hope this helps others to decide if stripping an Altex is within their skill range. With proper tools, really not that difficult, but as seen, sometimes hiccups happen, so that must be factored in, as well.
Steven Wecker

Woodbilly
Silver Bream

Post by Woodbilly »

Back with updates!

Got all the little bits polished up and noticed a few intricacies with this one.

The 2 slider blocks are different thicknesses and mounting screws are different styles.
One pair is tapered head and other pair is flat back head.

This shows the handmade flair of these old reels. No cookie cutter parts anywhere.

I had to use a round needle file and file the inner sleeve of the line roller, to enlarge it, as it was a bit tight on the new stud I pulled off my parts reel, after the original stud had to be drilled out for removal.

Once again, showing hand crafting of these reels.

Eccentric arm is notched on one end. I haven't seen this style before. I think this was done for clearance due to having 2 slider blocks.

The badges on this old girl were some of the most wore down I have seen. I'm thinking this reel has seen alot of service in its life. It's not done, yet, either. Lol

I'll be moving on to working on polishing the flier and spool, next.

More to come!
Steven Wecker

Return to “Hardy Reels”