ferrul stoppers.

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Haydn Clarke

Re: ferrul stoppers.

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Done a few more today. What else can you do on a day like this!

First a pair in Olive Ash. Myself and a few aquantances pretty much bought the whole tree. Lovely timber this, and quite possibly soon to be very rare. Apparently only happens to ash trees as and when they reach a suitably long age and then this stiking grain pattern develops. Usually ash is rather bland but in a big enough piece this stuff looks almost marbel-like.

And then a few more in the bubinga:

I don't know about a dozen of each, Pickle. I think I'd lose the will to live doing that many. I'm happy to admit, I'm not that good at turning and for every 5 of these I manage to knock up I probably break one in the process. So turning 24 would probably mean more like turning thirty. Probably a whole days work. I'll happily turn you up a a few pairs but you may have to wait a while as I'm pretty much turned out for now and still in the middle of my garage build. You'll need to step up a class in your drinking habits, too. Champers, darling, or at the very least Asti or Cava. Wine corks are simply not good enough to stand turning; they just break up.
Last edited by Haydn Clarke on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PickleBarrel

Re: ferrule stoppers.

Post by PickleBarrel »

:hat: :hat: sorry hadyn ....comment ( 2 dozen) was said tongue in cheek ...yes i would like some for my B.James olympic /avon/carp
waiting is not a problem as the rods have not had any for a few years...would be most grateful..let us now how much ..as for champers corks ...don't worry got a few of those ....well give an excuse to open a few bubblies.... just leaves me to say cheers(hic)

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I know that pub, ...and Mount Vernon's casualty too :oops:

"The Gate", isn't it? The first Mrs. Clark used to take me there in the Seventies. And the doctor-less, nurse -led Casualty at MV were a boon when I tried to cut my thumb off with a seat from an old Cessna.

I like the look of that ash.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Not The Gate, Nobby, that is an altogether much more salubrious affair.

The place I was refering to is The Prince Of Wales.... and I shall say no more than that...

I had some of the old ash left over from a mirror that I made for my other half. I jointed two off-cuts up and made a chopping board from it:

It could do with oiling again.

Like I said, a lovely timber. Not without it's problems though. Send it through the thicknesser and it comes out looking lovely. Just needs another 1mm taking off, so send it through again and suddenly half a dozen holes can just appear from nowhere.

Casualty has now closed down at MV. When I shot myself with the nail gun someone suggested that I still go there and check the minor injuries unit. It was sound advice, as, because there's no casualty, no one goes there so I was dealt with instantly. Contrast that with Watford general, which is where I went after the bandsaw incident and spent about two hours waiting to be seen. It was only when I started feeling rather sick that they got a doctor for me.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Ah Mount Vernon. I remember supplying a heat recovery unit for their clinical waste incinerator. Quite possibly some of your organic waste contributed to their central heating Haydn :sun:
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Prince of Wales...ah yes, the flint-faced pub opposite the Greene Man, by the turning for Watford.

I've an idea Paul Cook's 'Old School' might be nearby.......

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”