Ambidex Drag Problem.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Caractacus Potts
Roach

Ambidex Drag Problem.

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Can anyone help with a problem with an Ambidex drag ? No matter how much I tighten the drag, the spool revolves ( and would give line to a fish) under very light pressure. Could I add a thin washer to the spindle to improve this ? If not any other ideas please ?

Thanks.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Ambidex Drag Problem.

Post by Loop Erimder »

I asked same question about a Mitchell 300 that the spool won't tighten up. Use your finger as a brake, gently pull the fish in with finger on spool then when lowering your rod reel in the line then back to the finger as a brake. Then you can easily give more line out if need be
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Caractacus Potts
Roach

Post by Caractacus Potts »

Thanks for the idea Loop, but I'm looking for a better fix if possible.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd hazard a guess that the spool has split and the front flange is no longer connected to the rest of the spool. I had this with a Delmatic and it had me scratching my head for a while. If you take the spool off and give the flanges of the spool a good pull it will come apart if it's split. Other possibilities are that the plastic of the spool has split from the brass tube down the centre - a metal washer on the drag knob bears on the end of the tube and not on the face of spool or that the drah spring has broken.

If you know someone with a similar reel it might be worth swapping spools to see if this cure the problem.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”