Alcock Aerial reel

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Leveller
Rudd

Re: Alcock Aerial reel

Post by Leveller »

Aswell as the two identical numbers on the back of the two spool plates , you will also find a number on the back of the brass foot, and if your brave enough to take the brass foot off, you will find a matching number etched onto the reel body under where the foot is screwed on!

These two parts , aswell as the spool plates were made as a matching pair and went through production together,

The reason for the other number on the front of the foot and also sometimes stamped onto the inside of the backplate has been lost with time, nobody knows what this reference is for, everyone of these numbers I have seen starts with a 2,

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Leveller wrote:The reason for the other number on the front of the foot and also sometimes stamped onto the inside of the backplate has been lost with time, nobody knows what this reference is for, everyone of these numbers I have seen starts with a 2,
Surely someone out there must know what these numbers were for :Confused: .Mine has 21185 stamped.I would love to know what its for.Ive checked the other numbers too 67 on the spool flanges and there is a very faint 66 on the foot.

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Hiya champ, apparently the knowledge of this number has gone!
I've only ever seen them start with 2,
Having worked in production , It makes sense that this number (or at least the digits that follow the first digit2) were production quantity,
You would assume then that somewhere there is a run of reel that start with 1' but their could be a reason why there are no number 1s,
I found out recently why the purist 2030 had its name, I always assumed it had something to do with a date , it was however just a model number, when the 2030 was first produced the next model number at JWY was 2000" this couldn't be used as it was assumed that it would cause issues with the year 2000 fast approaching, so 2030 was used,
Why not 2020 or2010' the answer is simply, "because"
If I had to guess about the allcock number , I would say, 2 was a method , a time , a machine , a location on the factory, a person , a team, what ever, , , , , the other numbers I would bet at least 50p they are production count.
Untill someone turns up with an ancient allcock scrap book from the factory foreman with numbers in, we can only guess

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

Snape wrote:This is my Aerial which I bought a couple of years but I know little about it.

I have searched the internet for information but have not found anything. Does anyone know which model it is (1915 pattern?) and what the numbers 21257 stamped on the reel seat mean.

Thanks
Snape, this is indeed the 1915 aerial , this particular reel is post 1920 as before then the line lay pins were solid, post 1920 hollow.

Ps on the back of the brass foot if you look very squinty eyed you can just about make out a number 16?.
Therefore if the brass foot is original to the reel, which it certainly looks so, if you were to remove the brass foot you will find a matching number etched or stamped , as was probably the case , the corresponding number.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Mine looks exactly the same except for different numbers.I think the handles have been changed on mine as they are black.

RAA
Minnow

Post by RAA »

For those interested Bob Singleton published a good book entitled 'The Allcock Aerial A Collectors Guide' which is very informative if you want to find out a bit more.
"The idiosyncrasies of mankind to ordinary folk seem puzzling or irritating but to me are a source of perpetual delight" - H.V Morton
http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”