B James Avocet vs Barder Wizard

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

B James Avocet vs Barder Wizard

Post by Woodytia »

What is the difference between early B James Avocets (like the one on ebay at present) and the modern build Wallis Wizards from Mr Barder and perhaps other rod builders working today? I know vintage Wizard rods differ greatly from their modern counterparts which seem to me to be like early Avocets.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: B James Avocet vs Barder Wizard

Post by Nobby »

I'm told that the Avocet is a stronger rod and it's 3 inches longer at 11'3", of course. But modern made Wizards can be made however you want them made, that's perhaps the point of commissioning a new build. One frequent change specified is a longer handle as the 17" one on the original Wizards was designed for fishing in the Nottingham style wit the reel fitted below the hand.

A lot of the desire to own whole cane butt Avocets and 'modified' Wizards can be traced back to the writings of one particular rod restorer. Obviously an enthusiast for both rods, he also had an interest as he also sold such rods.

Nevertheless people frequently refer to his writings even now.

Actually.....I've just thought of another difference....about £1000 :Hahaha:

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Thanks Nobby, I can only make a comparison by looking at pictures and I hadn't realised that Avocets are a few inches longer.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Thing is the allcocks wizards were massively different from rod to rod. Some are just not particularly good, while some are sublime. I have no experience of avocets, so can not comment. The barder one's are rather nice, but I have only seen the one.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Allcocks themselves wrote of a " post-war" design change to the Wizard, Some think this was just a way of excusing poorer quality whole cane after the trade collapsed following WW2.

I note that many later ones have two nodes on the butt section.....and also learned only last month that the very last ones made had a longer handle, some as long as 19 and a half inches.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Mine is no later than '49, and lighter in the butt than a lot of the later ones I have seen, as well as having a very through action in the cane sections (if you catch my drift). some I have seen are tippy with horrible, heavy butts (mainly the green/ black labels). Only seen the one pre war wizard and it seemed lighter than post war ones.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, that's my understanding too. The older, the softer. I think the post war manufacturing really might have been hampered by a lack of slim cane with few nodes. Perhaps, and this is just speculation, to grow such cane required intervention by man, such as 'forcing' or pruning and this just didn't happen during the conflict.

Barrry Arbury once wrote that only Hardy had sufficient stocks to keep their similar rods going, but even they switched to a fibreglass butt for the rare Wallis All Round Mark II.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”