Aerial info

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
JohnnyP

Aerial info

Post by JohnnyP »

Hi,

Would anybody be kind enough to let me know any details about this reel please - model, age etc

I bought it last year at the Reddich tackle fair but I'm afraid I'm no expert so any info would be gratefully received

Many Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Davyr

Re: Aerial info

Post by Davyr »

Hi JohnnyP - The shape of the badge on the back dates your Allcocks Aerial to circa 1950. Lovely reels - I'm guessing you paid in the region of £150 - 200 for it?

JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Thanks for the info davyr

I paid exactly £100 and took it to Gary Mills for a quick once over first - we both agreed it was a bit of a bargain

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

JonnyP, it looks like you have Model C815 (1946 to 1966) this reel was released as the 'New Ventilated Aerial'. It was introduced to replace Model 7950-T10 (1932 to 1946). Your reel was produced in two sizes, 3¾” and 4½”. The larger size was advertised as being salt proof and ideal for the sea angler. The smaller size aimed at the freshwater angler. I can't tell from the picture what size your reel is, but in either case you have a wonderful piece of history there. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

Mark - thankyou so much for the wonderful info - the reel is the 3 3/4" model

It really is a lovely reel

Thanks

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

JohnnyP wrote:Mark - thankyou so much for the wonderful info - the reel is the 3 3/4" model

It really is a lovely reel

Thanks
No problem JohnnyP.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Made by JW Youngs and sharing parts with the Trudex, Rapidex and Flickem Perfection.

Not that that detracts from it in any way!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

RightCharlie

Post by RightCharlie »

A couple of points - it looks like it may have been the grey finish rather than black, fewer were made. Secondly it has a painted alloy foot rather than the later chrome one, suggesting its an early one. Bob Singleton's excellent book doesn't mention these differences.

Collectors keep your eyes open for the 3 3/4" with a black foot again less common.

Excellent usable Aerials without breaking the bank.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

RightCharlie wrote:Excellent usable Aerials without breaking the bank.
Unless your bank is in Cyprus ... apparently !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I think you got yourself a great bargain there.
Jim

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”