Mk 4 Carp vs SU Carp?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Buller
Rudd

Mk 4 Carp vs SU Carp?

Post by Buller »

It looks like my Mk4 Avon is going to require a refurb. That means no rod for around 8 months. I've been thinking about a second rod for a while now and since the Avon is going to be out of action for some time, this might be the time to invest in that second rod. I'm after something a little sturdier than the Avon that I will target Carp in the 10-25 pound class with (perhaps larger if I'm lucky :Wink: ). What do you guys think: Mk4 Carp or SU Carp? I don't want anything too similar to the Avon, but I also don't want a rod that's overkill. Looking forward to your insights.
B.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: Mk 4 Carp vs SU Carp?

Post by Snape »

If you are looking for a rod for double figure fish and the water isn't too snaggy then a regular MKIV is fine. The regular MKIV will cope with bigger fish and its soft action can be an asset in soft weed.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote:If you are looking for a rod for double figure fish and the water isn't too shaggy then a regular MKIV is fine.
Sometimes typos can be funny :Hahaha:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:
Snape wrote:If you are looking for a rod for double figure fish and the water isn't too shaggy then a regular MKIV is fine.
Sometimes typos can be funny :Hahaha:
Damn you read it before I edited!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

RightCharlie

Post by RightCharlie »

I hated the SU, it just didn't feel right in my hands, almost top heavy. Plus it was a late do-nut, so the cane wasn't the best, sold it on very quickly. This was the reason for the purchase of the two 11 footers mentioned elsewhere (Help?).

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Rightcharlie,
I am with you on the S/U, they were a truly awful rod. The one I owned was also sold on quite quickly as it was more suited to be used as a javelin!
Incidentally it had been owned by Reg Cooke of Melbourne who some of you will have heard of. He was the chap who illustrated Dick Walker's, No Need to Lie. It is most likely this rod he sketched for the book. Despite it's provenance & the inscription on the rod it just had to go.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”