A Passion For Angling

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Julian
Salmon

Re: passion for angling

Post by Julian »

APFA - three years in the making but it started 89 finished 92, then first aired on BBC 93.
First bit of filming was first week of the season at Redmire in June 89 for which I believe they had to bid £2000 to make sure they got that week.

I agree CTI is pricey for the whole lot but you do get 9 episodes and a full 9 hours.

I have both but I like to watch them again and again.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Another reason it wasn't repeated was that it took about 15 years to pay for itself. It had been filmed at Hughes expense and cost way too much - mind you Bob's expense account was a burdon - allegedly :roll: This is why 'Impossible' was marketed differently, pure finance.

I don;t think you could replicate Passion, it is like a work of art where inspiration and good fortune collided to create something timeless and wonderful, there will only ever be one. But that doesn't mean that somebody else shouldn't try to do their own attempt at creating a masterpiece.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

There is one scene in the film where Mr Yates makes a scarecrow using his best clothes,to fool a carp,he called it kevin the scarecrow..my wife laughed and gave me one of those looks only women can give.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

i myself did not rate cti that much it wasnt a patch on apfa

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have watched A Passion for Angling and love it. Watched the Redmire one today in fact. We have it on video. Very vintage. :Chuckle:
Caught In Time was also good.

Forgive my ignorance, what is CTI?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

MaggotDrowner wrote:I have watched A Passion for Angling and love it. Watched the Redmire one today in fact. We have it on video. Very vintage. :Chuckle:

Catching The Impossible MD.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

CTI seemed a little grasping. Using Bernie the Cribb and even some of the same narration and fills as in APFA was a mistake I think. I hope someone someday captures the feel of angling and what it means to me, the same way Hugh did in the early 90's, but alas I don't think it's possible if even necessary. Hugh makes wonderful fishing program's and there aren't enough of that kind of film maker around, but its that difficult second album that he's forced to try and produce.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Mark wrote:
MaggotDrowner wrote:I have watched A Passion for Angling and love it. Watched the Redmire one today in fact. We have it on video. Very vintage. :Chuckle:

Catching The Impossible MD.
Oh yeah. I have seen that. Good, but not as good as PFA.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Clearing out my garden shed and found a copy of APFA on video that i bought in 1995, the only problem now is i don,t have a video player to play them on ever since a lightning strike fried my player.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Ljm183 wrote:Clearing out my garden shed and found a copy of APFA on video that i bought in 1995, the only problem now is i don,t have a video player to play them on ever since a lightning strike fried my player.

PM sent.

Return to “Fishing Films”