Kennet Around Teale

This forum belongs to the River Kennet.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Kennet Around Teale

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Hopefully I have spelt the name of the village correctly but it is just west of Reading and just south of the M4. I have been offered a couple of days on the Kennet at Teale - a stretch of maybe a mile. It is a syndicate stretch but with spaces for a couple of guests and I have the invitation as a guest.

The stretch contains the swim where Walker lost an enormous barbel that he so wonderfully describes in his book 'No Need to Lie' and the swim was pointed out to me so if for nothing else than Walker fished it I must spend at least an hour or so as Walker's writings were so inspirational to me as a lad and the swim certainly looks as though it might contain some decent Barbel and Chub.

The point is however, that I have never fished the Kennet and whilst it seems appropriate to take my James Kennet Perfection it probably isn't ideal for the job should a reasonable Barbel take a fancy to a piece of bread flake.

So it is just a thought to ask on here if anyone with knowledge (that'll be most if not all of you) of the Kennet and the area around this location has any suggestions regarding tackle, tactics and baits with the understanding that full credit will be awarded to those advisors should I be able to meet one or two of the local residents of this fine river.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Re: Kennet Around Teale

Post by Bumble »

Hi I fish the Kennet just below there I use my Ted Oliver Kennet perfection and had no problems but it depends how you want fish.
What's your number I will call you at the weekend and discuss more.
Bumble

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

The spelling is 'Theale' - although I haven't fished the exact stretch since the 60's I'm familiar with other local stretches of the Kennet and the barbel and chub grow to quite a large size so, if targeting them, it is worth considering that with regard to setup.

PS Just noticed Bumble's post - I'll leave you in his good hands.
Last edited by JerryC on Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

The village is Theale and if the stretch of Kennet you describe is the one I think it is includes a small weirpool . It's been some years since I fished there but I do recall there were numerous medium sized barbel and several large chub . They certainly had a penchant for link ledgered bread flake , probably due to the couple who owned the riverside cottage feeding it almost daily to the ducks and swans .

Providing you use balanced tackle I think you should be OK with your Kennet Perfection . Enjoy and Tight LInes .

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Bumble wrote:Hi I fish the Kennet just below there I use my Ted Oliver Kennet perfection and had no problems but it depends how you want fish.
What's your number I will call you at the weekend and discuss more.
Bumble
Bumble - many thanks for the reply - any chance we could have a chat at the AGM at Twyford whch I am intending to attend and perhaps you are as well. Just a thought as it might be easier than telephoning. What do you think?

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

No problem I will be there.
Bumble

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

CWK wrote:The village is Theale and if the stretch of Kennet you describe is the one I think it is includes a small weirpool . It's been some years since I fished there but I do recall there were numerous medium sized barbel and several large chub . They certainly had a penchant for link ledgered bread flake , probably due to the couple who owned the riverside cottage feeding it almost daily to the ducks and swans .

Providing you use balanced tackle I think you should be OK with your Kennet Perfection . Enjoy and Tight LInes .
Many thanks CWK - I have had reasonable success with link ledgered bread flake for Barbel in the Teme. I tend to fish across and slightly down stream with the method although quite a few folks I know suggest upstream and across. I have used an all built cane James Avocet on the Teme and whilst I have had Barbel to around 9lb and successfully landed these I have had no chance at all when encountering older brothers and sisters who just set off down stream at a pace of knots and an Avocet with 5lb bs line will not stop them. I am loathe to up the line to 8lb bs with an Avocet as I just don't think it matches the tackle up (ie rod and line) so I have from time to time used a James Mk iv Carp Rod with 8lb bs line only to find only the juniors are feeding.

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

PershoreHarrier wrote:
CWK wrote:The village is Theale and if the stretch of Kennet you describe is the one I think it is includes a small weirpool . It's been some years since I fished there but I do recall there were numerous medium sized barbel and several large chub . They certainly had a penchant for link ledgered bread flake , probably due to the couple who owned the riverside cottage feeding it almost daily to the ducks and swans .

Many thanks CWK - I have had reasonable success with link ledgered bread flake for Barbel in the Teme. I tend to fish across and slightly down stream with the method although quite a few folks I know suggest upstream and across. I have used an all built cane James Avocet on the Teme and whilst I have had Barbel to around 9lb and successfully landed these I have had no chance at all when encountering older brothers and sisters who just set off down stream at a pace of knots and an Avocet with 5lb bs line will not stop them. I am loathe to up the line to 8lb bs with an Avocet as I just don't think it matches the tackle up (ie rod and line) so I have from time to time used a James Mk iv Carp Rod with 8lb bs line only to find only the juniors are feeding.

I believe that's called The Law of Sod ... Upscale and the bites diminish dramatically , fish lighter get multiple bites but run the risk of being broken up .... Ummm what to do ???

Whilst I'm loathe to leave fish with hooks / line dangling from their mouths the use of barbless hooks will enable them to dispose of the tackle reasonably quickly . This is one " modern " improvement that I fully endorse in my fishing tackle . However , I always try to mitigate fish loss by attempting to play them skillfully with balanced tackle .

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

I used to fish a section of the Kennet around there, about 6 years ago, the choice would be feeder fishing with maggots/casters or feeding a run and trotting to them, or roving around with a boilie, John Baker variety seemed to work well then, (they spook off luncheon meat, unless its in flood then you have a chance), best as always 1 hour either side of dusk or dawn I guess, but I struggle to get out of bed in time !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “River Kennet”