MKIV Carp arrived

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Re: MKIV Carp arrived

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Thanks for your kind words, all.

J.T. - yes, will do. Working away from home at the moment so I'll get a chance over Xmas.

SkimmingTheCream - when you put it like that, it's a veritable bargain.

Woolly Bear - thanks for the advice.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

ExiledSoutherner wrote:
Snape wrote:Sounds good and a reasonable price for a good one.
Post a report when you use it and some photos. :Thumb:
Yes, will do Snape. It's my first cane rod and I'm struggling to come to terms with it's beauty - a real work of art. Not a Ming vase, admittedly, but a damned fine tool made with both love, and a purpose.

I loved this line highlighted in red and I know what you mean. I bought one from Jim (VFC) on this forum and couldn't put it down when it arrived. They catch the eye like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Things of great beauty. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I don't think £200 was over-priced at all for a good usable James MkIV Carp rod - in fact I would call that a very good price.

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Kingfisher - yes, indeed. An affordable, functional and classic piece of kit.

Thanks PershoreHarrier - your comment has eased my conscience considerably.

In terms of rod maintenance; is there a point at which a cane rod needs to be refurbished? This may sound pretty naive, however I'd rather keep it in tip-top condition.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Gratulation to the rod.
I bought a refurbished onion MK IV Carp a few weeks ago for about 150 pounds.
200 pounds for a original rod is not overpaid.
Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

P.S Was it one of the Buy it now rods??

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Yes a real piece of history, my first cane rod also, mine can be prone to take on a set after a battle, but bends back just as nicely !

On restoration, its the varnish for me, if this is in a poor condition then water can get in and ruin the cane and work is needed.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Hi, are you exiled in Manchester ,think i saw a pic of the goyt. Have you seen this club,Salfordfreindlyanglers society, the oldest Angling society in the World.The Irwell was used as a waste pipe for the birth of the industrial revolution.Over the last years through lobbying and improved treatment plants,and a lot of work by the society, it is now swimming with the glorious shapes of fish.

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Tinca - no, it was a bona fide auction. I think the crux was that the auction finished on a Monday afternoon - not the best planning if one wants to maximise one's income. :)

Mushy - thanks for the tip. The varnish looks in good condition, so fine for now.

Kevin - yes, in Manchester. Aye, the Goyt's a marvellous little river; a good friend caught a brownie of 9lb 6oz a couple of seasons ago, whilst fishing for barbel. And the latter species are thriving too - a real success story. Yes, I joined the Salford Friendly Angler's Society a couple of seasons back, but I've yet to fish the Irwell. Are you also based around these parts?
Last edited by ExiledSoutherner on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

You are going to absolutely love using it.

I'm glad you got a good un as there's some dubious ones out there. My first foray into owning a MkIV was far from satisfactory.

They are indeed an item of beauty and elegance. Let us know when you attach it to one of those Goyt Barbel :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

NN - yes, will do. Just hoping for conducive conditions in early January.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”