Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

The Speedia Reels forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Speedia reels, want a shallower arbour ?

Post by AshbyCut »

MacMan wrote:Weighs bugger all, it is printed with 25% fill, internally it looks like cardboard, or a beehive.

Matt
Maybe it will have applications for float making ???
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

It helps if you can see something being printed. When you "make" the model for printing, the printer software asks you how dense you want the model to end up. You can make it 100% in which case each layer of 0.2mm is layed down solid. If you make it 25%, the first few layers are solid, then until the top each layer is layed down like beehive. If you cut a section through it you would see beehive, or sometimes like cardboard as a cross-section. You can even go down to 10% or so, but obviously not as strong. It really is a useful piece of machinery. To give you some idea this type of printer costs around 2.5K AUD. I'm fortunate to have access to one.

Matt

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'll have a look to see if I can locate a UK supplier who can knock up a few for us.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Fascinating stuff MM, and Sean...yes please!

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I would be interested in one if you can get a supplier ... thats if they fit all speedia models :Thumb:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

you'd need two widths (narrow/wide) ,but the drum dia doesn't really change that much on the verious models ,wether old type or improved versions ,only the early flat backs where shallower .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

MacMan
Dace

Post by MacMan »

I think the best option is if I make a few and send them to one UK address, then you can post them at local rates cheap. The other thing then is I can check they fit my reel before sedning them. There are different ways to print and different materials. The ABS I've used and the Makerbot printer, have a certain amount of inaccuracy, so I couldn't guarantee that if you get them printed locally they would work perfectly, you would have to find a supplier and get 1 printed to test.

The only modification you need to do otherwise, is that you get a sharp knife and cut a tiny amount from the plastic to clear where the handle mounts on the underside of the spool. If you do it right, ie on the inside you can do it such that the outer circular part is unimpaired, so that line can't get between the plastic and the face of the inside of the spool. So if you can come up with a local TFF member to be the clearing house we can organise something.

Matt

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I'm retired these day Matt so I'd be happy to arrange the posting-on at this end.

Very generous of you to go to all this trouble, may I say!

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Sounds like a good idea. Can I enquire a likely price.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Frenchman

Post by Frenchman »

Yes please. I'd be interested in a couple if they'd fit a wide drum

Return to “Speedia Reels”