B James & Son London. Richard Walker Mk IV Avon

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
The VFC
Brown Trout

Re: B James & Son London. Richard Walker Mk IV Avon

Post by The VFC »

Although there aren't many photos it looks good to me - and I'm really pleased to see the commitment from the seller to let the auction run.
Jim

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

£800 with 6 days to go!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I'm going to stick to my view that the rod may be early James, it may be a Southwell blank and may be in original unrestored condition but having seen examples I don't think that is Richard Walker's own handwriting because it's too scrappy and lacks Walker's even hand, flourishes and his unique lower case 'r'. It certainly doesn't match the example I've seen or the photos of other rods with his hand script that I've seen published. I have no idea what this rod actually is but I very much doubt it is one of the first batches signed by Walker himself who was critical of James' own script not being up to standard hence his offer to sign them himself.

I'll add that the whippings appear too crude and poorly spaced to be James who were very good at them and I note that for an early James the address was usually given as Ealing, London. Early rods were whipped with very close intermediates. I'd say if anybody was seriously bidding on this thinking that it is definitely what we'd all like it to be, that they should go and have a look at it in person and not trust what are quite poor photographs, all of which focus on the script and no other aspect of the rod. All the more so given the price.
Last edited by Beresford on Fri May 09, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Can someone explain to me,why would you bid £800 on something that has so long to run ? also I thought that early B James had the gold wrap round logo not ink writing.(See Reel Antique Anglings website).
Also should it say Ealing ?
But there seem to be as many variations as there are rods and I am certainly not an expert,perhaps Mr Ball could help.

Regards Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

The Bishop
Perch

Post by The Bishop »

Beresford wrote:I'm going to stick to my view that the rod may be early James, it may be a Southwell blank and may be in original unrestored condition but having seen examples I don't think that is Richard Walker's own handwriting because it's too scrappy and lacks Walker's even hand, flourishes and his unique lower case 'r'. It certainly doesn't match the example I've seen or the photos of other rods with his hand script that I've seen published. I have no idea what this rod actually is but I very much doubt it is one of the first batches signed by Walker himself who was critical of James' own script not being up to standard hence his offer to sign them himself.

I'll add that the whippings appear too crude and poorly spaced to be James who were very good at them and I note that for an early James the address was usually given as Ealing, London. Early rods were whipped with very close intermediates. I'd say if anybody was seriously bidding on this thinking that it is definitely what we'd all like it to be, that they should go and have a look at it in person and not trust what are quite poor photographs, all of which focus on the script and no other aspect of the rod. All the more so given the price.
Hear,Hear.
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

He's already put 6 bids over the £800....a tad panicky me thinks...

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I remember a Olivers MK IV rod going for silly money a few weeks ago which was signed similar to
this.Wasnot a rectangular decal on the first rods with something like a spear in the middle and the
adress Ealing London and not London or London ,England? Iam a little confused now and ask
myself the question:Whats going on here the last months???? More and more rods that could,might
or supposed to be first Walkers that earn silly money in my opinion (min 800 Pounds for this rod!!!!!!)
Are so many people searching the holy grail of a Walker selfbuilt rod?I think most or all owners of the first ones are known?I donot understand,but if I get so silly to spend such a lot of money for a rod
then it is a Barder or a Cook .......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes, I think I have one of those first Walker self built mkiv rods but for some reason he didn't sign it. Still, it catches!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

I thought the early Walker rod,s were all Standard MKiv carp rod,s Not Avon,s

Have look here.
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=12693

WindJammer

Post by WindJammer »