Allcocks "The Lancer"

The Allcocks Rods forum.
PDuffield
Grayling

Re: Allcocks "The Lancer"

Post by PDuffield »

Very nice looking rod, it definitely deserves to have some time on the bank again.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The handle fittings are pretty much the same (probably identical) to those used on the Wizards up to the early 50s. The Low Bells rings were also in use until well into the 50s on the Wizard, Isis and Record Breaker. This design with the spliced whole cane middle seems to be a standard design for heavy bottom rods; I've got an almost identical rod by Aspindales called The Avon Deluxe. Be careful when playing heavy fish on these rods as the transition into the split cane top section is quite abrupt and I've been worried about it breaking when playing big chub on my Aspindale. Lowering the rod tip helps, but you then need to be really delicate with reel control as you lose much of the resilience of the rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I'm not sure it's a heavy float rod; it looks like Spanish reed as far as possible, for reach, stiffness and light weight, then a sort of reducer-cum-shock-absorber of Tonkin, then the split cane tip.
I suspect it's an out-and-out match rod, built with roach to eight ounces and bream to two or three pounds in mind, and I would think twice about risking it on anything over two pounds that isn't a bream, until you've really got a feel for it. Be prepared for that feel to tell you that two pounds is quite enough!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Just to record that, after nearly a year of ownership [!] the Lancer had it's first run out on the Itchen last week & was a nice & useable trotting rod albeit a little overgunned for 1 lb trout & 12oz grayling.

Most of my fishing is done before or after work so the tackle lives in a small Fiat's boot & I'm less protective of my Lucky Strike, Wizard & other cane & glass rods than I am of the Lancer & my grandfather's Westley Richards - hence the delay til a suitable venue & full day off session!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Old post.

As a matter of interest do any other TFF members have one of these rods ?

I confess that I've only used it a couple of times when grayling fishing.

I'm wondering how rare it is now.

RSVP.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

The rod may be old, but the fact that it was one of my first posts ten years ago makes me feel SO much older.

The Lancer hasn't aged ........but I have !!!

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

PM sent Rod.

Many thanks for all the information sent. Well worth adding it to this thread?

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”