Chapmans to close down

The Chapmans Rods forum.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Chapmans to close down

Post by The Old Buffer »

“The old order changeth yielding place to new And God fulfills himself in many ways Lest one good custom should corrupt the world."
Tennyson.

Sad news but all things come to pass.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

How sad, but inevitable I guess...

I too wish them a long and happy retirement.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Good news on the Chapman's front! I have just had confirmation (from Brian Chapman) that The Chapman name will continue beyond Brian's retirement at the end of the year. As previously mentioned John Chapman will continue to work, albeit from different premises! So hopefully Chapman's will still be a great source for all things cane.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

:huray: Huzzah! :huray:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Only went in there once,I was like a kid in a sweet shop,Don't think I bought anything,just ask a few questions but they made me feel very welcome,Good luck boys. :Thumb:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

I'll never forgive myself for not bidding more on a Chapmans 'Di Maggio' fly rod on ebay, went for £50, gutted...

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Scott wrote:Very sad. I was hoping one day to buy a new fly rod from them when I had the money, I'd better get saving...
They may have a few blanks 'ready to go' Scott

http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=105
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It's good news that they will still be around in some form. I hope you locals pop in from time to time to keep us appraised of developments.

It's true that they do have vast stocks of cane sections ready built. I once gave them details over the 'phone of what I wanted and when I turned up there a week later they had FIVE sections for me to choose from. When they make a section that is unusual, say for an Aspindale Aero 894B for example, they used to make several up at the same time, so they'd have a choice for the customer and a spare for the future. Consequently the place is bursting with brand new, and some saved old sections too. If they are down-sizing they might let some of that go cheaply, they can, on occasion, be startlingly generous........

It may be time to visit once more...........

Surrey Martin
Roach

Post by Surrey Martin »

Guys. Given the slimming down of Chapmans I took advantage of a mate of mines visit to them and ordered a new tip section for my sad looking 500 which has been languishing in the back of the shed . The same mate will (cos I am bloody useless) dress the rod for me and I will do my part and try not to catch any fish something I achieve on a regular basis.i was with another famous rod maker recently who said the market is losing all of its skill base ! Martin

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

Let us wish them a happy retirement, well deserved but it is still a shame to see Chapmans close.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”