Best pin

This forum is for discussing carp.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Best pin

Post by OldTackle »

Lovely reel indeed. Freshly oiled mine still spins easily 60 seconds but also 50 seconds when hanging from a rod. I wouldn't want to live with disadvantages from a bearings pin. True pin rules!
Post a picture of your desired reel and I am sure we can sort you out a bit more.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Also a very strong reel which would be a cheaper option would be a youngs seldex

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Or indeed a rapidex.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

A wide drum , look out on e bay for a G and Y royal eagle . kindest regards . Woolly Bear .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Or indeed a Trudex...

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

This thread may never end as you are really asking how long is a piece of string.

Probably better to ask which is the best pin to suit your budget, if money is no object then its got to be a ventilated Aerial or one out of the Mills stable if you want a modern reel or a Lythe, Carter etc etc however if you are winching in monsters then a good old Grice and Young may be the best bet to save any explosions !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

I'd pump for a Speedia. They sell for anything between £30 and £200. Unless something is bent or broken they will all do the job they are intended for. I took my (0nly rotates for forty seconds with a quick spin) jobbie to the stream today. Flowing about two seconds a metre, it needed a nudge to rotate, but once rolling was fine with a relatively light float set-up. You might run out of end float adjustment on an old reel? No problem. As long as you have some, it could be excessive. Might rattle a bit,but laying on its back trotting out line it will be like a well-behaved baby..

Same applies to other pins of course. The aerial type are justifiably more expensive, but are more expensive. The solid Youngs are cheaper but I think that heavier spool counts against it.

Proper reels should have holes in the spool face, but that just a personal prejudice....
Last edited by Beryl on Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benno
Gudgeon

Post by Benno »

Got an aerial allcocks match which I'm really pleased with also got my eye on a speedia and a grice and youngs avon royal supreme thanks for the advice chaps

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Welcome and enjoy! :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Benno wrote:Got an aerial allcocks match which I'm really pleased with also got my eye on a speedia and a grice and youngs avon royal supreme thanks for the advice chaps
I have had carp upto 32lb on my avon royale supremes, no problems,I love my em,Happy days

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”