Daiwa 120m

The Other Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Daiwa 120m

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Well, here it is: Image Imagea Image Image Image
There appears to be a pin missing? If this is the case, does any one know where I may obtain one. The reel seems to function ok with just the one pin however.
I ended up paying £10 for the reel
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Jeremy, I think I have a spare spool for your reel, I'll bring it to Redditch for you. The reel will operate fine with just one pin.
The later ABU variants were also fitted with twin line pick ups but most ended up with just the one as sometimes only one pin would retract and cause nightmares when casting.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Jeremy, I think I have a spare spool for your reel, I'll bring it to Redditch for you. The reel will operate fine with just one pin.
The later ABU variants were also fitted with twin line pick ups but most ended up with just the one as sometimes only one pin would retract and cause nightmares when casting.

Wal.
Thank you Wal, that's so very considerate! Good to know that the reel is ok with just the one pin, I would have been very disappointed had it been un-usable having spent so much money!!

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

I have many of these reels, 6 I think plus a box of spares, love them and for me better than the ABU 500 series, this is of course is just my opinion :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

BeechmereLake wrote:I have many of these reels, 6 I think plus a box of spares, love them and for me better than the ABU 500 series, this is of course is just my opinion :Hat:
I have never used a closed face reel before so quite looking forward to trying it out, don't think it will look right on a cane rod though so will try it on a glass rod as I have now purged myself of modern carbon rods!!!!

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Will look and feel great on a MK 5 or MK 6 Abu rod, I have several ABU rods and like them all but sadly some must go so at Redditch I will be having rods and reel combinations for people to look over, deals can be had. I will keep a couple like my Mitchell Match/ABU mk6 as both are still good for fetching chub from the far bank of the Thames. :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I think the Daiwa reels only had one pick up pin .

Teifi Terror
Minnow

Post by Teifi Terror »

Can anyone help with the manufacturing years of the Diawa Harrier 120M?
Teifi Terror

Alone but not lonely, "

Moc Morgan OBE

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Interesting to see the photos of your Daiwa 120M, Jeremy.
The general construction and "guts" of your reel do look very similar to those of the Abu 500 series.
Was there any collaboration (or copying?) between the twp companies, or is it just the nature of the beast which makes that configuration best suited to the job?

And Harry, you are right, it DOES pay to acquire a reputation for being one of those traditional fishing nutters, it's surprising what turns up from time to time!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Just had a look in a 120 of mine and that has just the one pin but is made for two? The 123 I have only has the one pin and is made that way.

Return to “Other Reels”