Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 - 1946)

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
J.T
Catfish

Re: Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T10 (1932 – 1946)

Post by J.T »

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Splendid, one day I'll own one!!! :thumb:
Ditto! :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Mark wrote:No SK, the Aerial Match is a model in it's own right, still made by the same manufacturer though.

From your poster it looks like the Model C340 the new Match Aerial built from 1965 to 1971. When these were first introduced in 1965 they would have cost five pounds twelve shillings. It wasn't until 1971 when we changed to decimal so this advert is post 1971.

Here's mine, bought with my first month's salary in 1966.

As you can see it has two sizes of line guards. These I had made by an engineer friend who now works for McLaren.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think that post decimalisation Match Aerial advert is for Fred Crouch reels, with its Enfield address?

Haydn, yours has a lever check....is it an Allcocks, do you know?

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Mark wrote:From your poster it looks like the Model C340 the new Match Aerial built from 1965 to 1971. When these were first introduced in 1965 they would have cost five pounds twelve shillings. It wasn't until 1971 when we changed to decimal so this advert is post 1971.
Hi Mark - Doesn't the Enfield address on the ad posted by SK point to this being one of Fred Crouch's replica Match Aerials?

Ah! Cross-posted with Nobby! :oops:

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Nobby, it's definitely an Allcocks. It's a 7950 T-10. The only aerial allcocks made with a rim check which is why I got it. Here's a picture of the B- side.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

A rather big picture I might add. Appologies gents, no resize option on the iPhone photo bucket ap.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Picture size adjusted. :wink:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Now that is one beautiful reel, Haydn. I want one!

Out of my league already, there is one ending today on eBay.

Very interesting, seeing those brass nuts and bolts .... identical to some lever check conversions made to Flick 'ems by Swift engineering, probably post war. Swift, I'm told took on the disposessed Young's management after Shakespeare shut Young's down and the company later became the Young's that still exists today.

Those nuts and bolts look just like the ones on the reel in my avatar.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

If I'm honest, Nobby, it's somewhat out of my league too. I bought it as an early fortieth birthday present to myself, purely because it was the model I wanted and also because I had sold some odds and sods and had the money in PayPal. When it turned up I was a bit disappointed, to be honest, but the seller agreed for to pay the service costs so it was sent up to have the Garry treatment. It still has a slight wobble, but then so will I after seventy odd years. On the whole though I'm happy with it, more so after giving it a good polish up, hense the shinny brassware you noticed. One thing with old tackle that simply can't be copied with new is that sense of wondering about its past; the previous owners, fish caught and lost, places fished etc. All adds to the magic and I look forward to adding my own little bit to the story.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Haydn Clarke wrote:Nobby, it's definitely an Allcocks. It's a 7950 T-10. The only aerial allcocks made with a rim check which is why I got it. Here's a picture of the B- side.
Yes Haydn it is the 7950 T10, they made a 10 vent version which is mine and the 8 vent version which is yours. It looks a lovely reel Haydn. Gary Mills also gave mine the once over and converted the check mechanism to left hand wind.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”