Intrepid Reels

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
VernonBenables

Re: Intrepid Reels

Post by VernonBenables »

Thanks AC and Nobby .I dont know how to PM tho.Ive got loads of spools but dont remember seeing any with the fluffy bit.The Elite and Super twin have that round their spools.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Nobby wrote:You might seek out a Match spool with its ring of fluffy wire around it. I know it has a proper name, but I can't for the life of me think what it is this morning.

It was designed to stop just that happening with the then new generation of fine lines.

Nobby, it was ringed with nylon chenille, as advertised in the owners instructions amongst the 14 or so features of the reel;
"Special non-foul spool ringed with nylon chenille"

Weyfarer

Post by Weyfarer »

Here's one of my rarely used Intrepid Elites at Marsh Farm. The reel is teamed with an unbranded three piece 11' built cane rod, possibly a kit from JB Walker. Good luck guys on your Marsh Farm trip - my forecast is lots of tench to seven pounds but every few crucians although one of you will get a three pounder.

Here's an Intrepid centre pin which I used a fair bit with a MK4 at a lake local to me when I lived in Surrey. Not a bad reel so long as you test the slotted bolt before each session. When I say "not bad", I mean for casting with loops, it's not a Wallis caster and neither is it a free running trotting reel.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Chenille it was! Thanks Merlot.

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Re: Intrepid Reel Super Twin

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Had for a few years now in my collection a Intrepid Super Twin with 2 spare spools and in a very but complete worn box.All three spools have what I would call pipe cleaning material on the base of spool to stop line from going under spool.The action of the reel still very good with a good bail arm action.With not to much paint lost.I would put a value of £15.00.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Great photos!!!! love the Elite and rod photo, a master class!
The Mitchell 300 can't compete with that groovy folding handle in the best ally! I would like to see an 2012 upgrade of that model...... "Cost a bomb"
Thanks for the the great photos..... Dear me, I best get my Elite out and give it an oil and clean!

Mr B

Old-CodJA

Re: intrepid reels

Post by Old-CodJA »

AshbyCut wrote:I'm no expert, but I have 3 Black Princes, and I paid about the same for them.

My little collection of Intrepid reels stems from the first reel I ever bought ... a Monarch II ... and include :-

1 x Intrepid Monarch Mk2. 1 spool.

2 x Intrepid Continental. 1 Green with 2 spools and M.O.B. 1 black with 2 spools.

2 x Intrepid Elite. 3 x spools.

3 x Intrepid Prince Regent. 5 x spools.

3 x Intrepid Black Prince. 3 x spools.

Intrepid "Match" centrepin.

I don't have a "Standard," ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-P-Morritts- ... 35bd45cbcb ) so may be interested, but Intrepids (especially after they were taken over by Gladdings as far as I can see) can be had for very little money, though some try silly prices on ebay assuming anything "vintage" is worth cash.

There is a site about Intrepid reels, though it may not be fully functional now :-

http://www.intrepidreel.com/home.html

I don't have a Regent, nor a Intrepid 'Match' Centrepin, but have all the others including the Intrepid 'New' De Luxe, The Intrepid 'Cresta' and several Intrepid 'Surfcast' beach reels.

Having looked at that website dedicated to Intrepid Reels I was surprised to see that they don't list one of the reels that I guess a huge number of kids had as a first 'proper' fixed spool reel in the early 1960s, the Intrepid 'Truspin"

I have three of those, a kind of smaller 'boys version' of the knock-over, heavy wire bale-arm, reel similar in some ways to the Black Prince. These reels are a coppery pink color, not the most attractive colours I've seen on fishing reels, but it's the end gear that catches fish of course.

Waterlogged

Post by Waterlogged »

I have the De-Luxe model which of course is as basic as a reel gets, to be quite honest apart from it having one of the nicer ratchet notes i much prefer an Ambidex i only tend to use it for Roach/Bleak fishing with super fine lines, although if the De-Luxe has one redeeming feature, it is that the bail arm action is as crispest i have ever known !

Scott Thompson

Post by Scott Thompson »

I've got 3 Price Regents all have different stickers saying Price Regent on them, is that an age thing or different years? All the handles have a plastic clip to fold them, the Black Prince has a metal clip!!
A Black Prince
An Envoy
An Elite which no matter what i do still feels very stiff to reel in.
A Deluxe
And the Mk1 and Mk2 Monarch's that i use most of all.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Scottt wrote:I've got 3 Price Regents all have different stickers saying Price Regent on them, is that an age thing or different years? All the handles have a plastic clip to fold them, the Black Prince has a metal clip!!
A Black Prince
An Envoy
An Elite which no matter what i do still feels very stiff to reel in.
A Deluxe
And the Mk1 and Mk2 Monarch's that i use most of all.
Hi Scottt
Could you post a pic of the rear of a Monarch Mk2 spool? I've just bought one in general working order, but the little copper (?) strip on the back of the spool keeps falling out and consequently is out of shape. I'm not sure what shape it needs bending back into to solve the issue!
Cheers
Alex
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”