Mk IV

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: Mk IV

Post by JerryC »

Most odd, should be two sections of 5' and 5'2", approximately 10' when put together depending upon the condition of the ferules - maybe a trick of the light :wink:
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

SK that rod sold on ebay last week for £113

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... true&rt=nc

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thought the pic looked familiar. Then the buyer must have been unhappy with it.....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Out of interest did this company make good rods?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes they did. Some of their earlier rods were made with cane from the Croydon company of Southwell and they are both sought after and valuable ( sort of the same thing really ) When they started producing their own cane it was still of a very high quality. The company was founded by Jim Bruce Snr. and was based in Northfields Avenue in West Ealing. He was later joined in the firm by his son, James Bruce Jnr. You'll note how the company name was a reversal of their real names.......it's caused confusion ever since, with many folk thinking the company something to do with modern angler Bob James.
Richard Walker famously chose them to manufacture his Mark IV carp rod, though he actually caught his record fish with one he made hjimself that was pretty different to the production model.

B.James also made the stepped down Avon version, intended as a chub rod, but famously used by Chris Yates to catch his record carp, thus taking the title from Dick Walker.

They also produced the stepped up or 'S/U' Mk IV carp rod.

In total B.James are thought to have produced 15,000 Mark IV rods!

They're not all great rods, the quality of the cane arriving in the UK post War dictating that some were not as good as others.

The company moved successfully made the transition to galass fibre rods and moved to Cambridgshire where Jim Bruce set up Bruce and Walker with a local engineer.

They now produce carbon fibre rods which are respected the world over, including their Hexacane split cane look-alike rods.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_rn=7& ... 24&bih=622

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

sorry Nobby, a little correction, Bruce and walkers rod that look like cane, although they also do them in a natural carbon finish too, are 'Hexagraphs'.

Lovely rods to use, i've had six through my hands over the last 10 years and kept a 13' trotter and an 11' 1 1/4lb avon which are superb. The rods are still made but most are fly rods now. I hope to get a new full length butt section made by them for my trotter, which only has a 24" handle and two sections5'6", the extra length making the rod 16'6" long. A bit of a handfull but i'm having a counter weight built in the end of the butt to compensate.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ooops..thanks Andy..Hexacane was Milwards trade name.

D'oh!

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

Mark 4 s are not scarce so better to wait for that good one as there are auctions in the next few months Angling Auctions or Mullocks take your choice if you can view even better.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”