Altex no2 MkV spitfire finish

The Hardy Reels forum.
Darjeeling
Dace

Re: Altex no2 MkV spitfire finish

Post by Darjeeling »

Thanks Nobby,

Is it feasible/is there any one out there who could remedy the drag pawl? I’ve heard so much about the great sound of the drag that I feel I must be missing out on something. The reel is excellent in every other respect and the clutch is beautifully smooth so shouldn’t grumble really ! :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The anti reverse pawl on your reel is permanently on, there being no switch fitted to your model. It's situated at the top left of the reel body, immediately behind the rotating head.

It may be that someone has greased it too liberally in the past and this is making it very quiet. You could wash out the grease locally and just oil it.

Hardy were probably quite pleased at making a nice quiet anti-reverse, truth be told. It's operating every time you turn the handle of the reel and a noisy one would have drawn criticism.

Do not, whatever you do, loosen this screw:Image

It's the pivot for that anti-reverse pawl....and it's a full strip to put it together again!

Of course, I'm still presuming that it's the anti-reverse making the noise and not the clutch...I might well be wrong.

Darjeeling
Dace

Post by Darjeeling »

Thanks again Nobby. My reel cranks perfectly. My issue is that it’s missing the classic ticking drag sound when a fish takes line - isn’t that to do with the spring and pawl (?) in the rotor housing? The clutch is smooth but virtually silent.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The clutch noise is activated by the pawl ratcheting with the cog on the inside of the spool. It maybe the pawl is siezed in the open position, has a damaged spring or may have some grease in it to quieten it down but they are usually quite a subtle noise anyway.
Here's what they should look like.

If you would like me to have a look at it and give it quick once over, let me know.

Wal.

Return to “Hardy Reels”