Leaders

General fly fishing chat area.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Leaders

Post by Moley »

Being a simpleton Fatty mostly uses a nine foot length of Fluorocarbon in 4lb bs. It's easy to use, can be made to float with Mucilin, made to sink quickly with Fuller's Earth in a paste, casts okay, safely disposable after each session by either burning it or cutting into short lengths, relatively cheap compared to other leader materials and best of all works!

Fatty scratches his head in wonderment as to why anglers seem to delight in making fishing complicated. Keep it simple and avoid headaches and worry about whether you have enough pies and slurping tea...... priorities, priorities!

Fishing is simple, so why make something beautiful in its simplicity, ugly and complicated?

Enough said.....

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

For loch fishing I keep it simple and use about 7' of 8lb maxima as a leader plus about 2-3' of 6lb maxima as tippet. Coupled with 6 or 7# floating line, depending on room in my rucksack. (7# line is on a much heavier reel). The wild brownies don't seem to mind my crude approach! Also use this approach for rainbows on reservoirs from a boat.

And for fly fishing for pike I use about 7-8' of 20lb fluorocarbon, with about 12-18" of knot too Kinky trace wire. Coupled with 9 or 10#line.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Santiago wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:41 am For loch fishing I keep it simple and use about 7' of 8lb maxima as a leader plus about 2-3' of 6lb maxima as tippet. Coupled with 6 or 7# floating line, depending on room in my rucksack. (7# line is on a much heavier reel). The wild brownies don't seem to mind my crude approach! Also use this approach for rainbows on reservoirs from a boat.

And for fly fishing for pike I use about 7-8' of 20lb fluorocarbon, with about 12-18" of knot too Kinky trace wire. Coupled with 9 or 10#line.
Maxima is still used and you are right the trout don't seem to mind as long as they have not been scared or put down by clumsiness.

Even so called educated trout are caught by Fatty with simple leaders of either Maxima or if they are near the surface, Fluorocarbon which just gives that edge.

Fly fishing is wonderfully simple and does not need overcomplicating with fripperies and silliness. Glad you are utilising the right way Santiago allowing yourself to concentrate on actually finding the fish and getting the fly to them in a manner they find acceptable.

That just about sums up how all species of fish are pursued by this Fat Oaf.

Let's face it carp, roach, chub, dace, barbel, gudgeon, crucian are all caught on the waggler in the simplest of set ups with no, or very little shot down the line. Just as trout are fished for with the most basic tackle, a handful of flies, short leaders of Fluorocarbon or Maxima, with the only indulgence being a Hardy Perfect because this reel is lovely to look at. No apologies for this!

Simple works for some....Fatty is a simple idiot but catches enough fish to satisfy his need to do so, very often catching more than most.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

wm+

I agree with you about my poor quality silk line. I am not very forgiving when it comes to tackle, if it doesn't perform it's discarded. Perhaps I will examine one in a tackle shop next season and compare it to mine.

Return to “General Fly Chat”