Barbel in the Winter wierpool . Fred Crouch .

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Barbel in the Winter wierpool . Fred Crouch .

Post by Olly »

Fred was a member of 2 clubs that I too was a member of - both had sections of the Kennet and I did meet him on quite a few occasion fishing there.
Also at a few meetings where he could be entertaining! In fact he assembled my 'Match Aerial' for me whilst I watched.

A colleague has just sold two of his Limited Edition reels - red and green - for a princely sum.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I was lucky enough to fish with Fred many times, at King's Weir (from a punt) but also the Hampshire Avon and Kennet at different venues! I learned a lot from Fred and found him to be great company with a wicked sense of humour. He was resistant to change and sceptical of the true weight of many of the pictures of Barbel printed in the angling press. He was the best I have ever seen at 'coaxing' Barbel out of weed, he was certainly a character and missed by many people that got to know him well! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Olly wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:23 pm Fred was a member of 2 clubs that I too was a member of - both had sections of the Kennet and I did meet him on quite a few occasion fishing there.
Also at a few meetings where he could be entertaining! In fact he assembled my 'Match Aerial' for me whilst I watched.

A colleague has just sold two of his Limited Edition reels - red and green - for a princely sum.
I have one of his 'Match Aerials too... very nice reel... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I really enjoyed that....
I watched it last night on my phone and have just watched it again on the 'big screen' my TV.
Just love his simple approach and honesty.
And... "size 10 and 6 hooks.. thats all I use"
And... I wouldn't mind betting he could russle up a feast with his "Alfresco spam chopping demonstration"
Got to be one of my favourite YouTube videos.
Thanks for posting...

Mr B
Ps.... and... what a rear privilege to own that rod!
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Fred & simplicity - now that’s how to do it. A great film.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I'd known Fred for many years, recorded many programmes with him, he never let me down, I always enjoyed his company, though I didn't take a drink from the famous or infamous flask. Many days were spent on the Kennet Avon at the Royalty. I often stopped at his house, it’s said it was Guy Fawkes of the gunpowder plot house at one time. one occasion. Fred said your stopping at my daughters house for a couple of nights. I can’t remember her name, so bad is my memory these days. I’d been there about an hour when she said “I haven’t shown you my new boob job” There and then she did so. I just said “That’s an excellent job, but they don’t come cheap” she just laughed. Fred was not just a friend but a very good angler, his methods were thought to be olds, not in my book, they were very good and are still good today.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Martin James wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:13 pm I'd known Fred for many years, recorded many programmes with him, he never let me down, I always enjoyed his company, though I didn't take a drink from the famous or infamous flask. Many days were spent on the Kennet Avon at the Royalty. I often stopped at his house, it’s said it was Guy Fawkes of the gunpowder plot house at one time. one occasion. Fred said your stopping at my daughters house for a couple of nights. I can’t remember her name, so bad is my memory these days. I’d been there about an hour when she said “I haven’t shown you my new boob job” There and then she did so. I just said “That’s an excellent job, but they don’t come cheap” she just laughed. Fred was not just a friend but a very good angler, his methods were thought to be olds, not in my book, they were very good and are still good today.
Martin your experiences are priceless. And I agree 100% regarding Fred and his methods.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Sat down and watched this with a nice coffee while wife and boy were at the shops this morning. Smashing stuff. Lovely rod and reel… and 6lb line in snaggy swims too!
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Return to “Fishing Films”