Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

Re: Ahhhhh 've gone and done it?

Post by Julian »

Just had a look at that website, not seen it before.
For what is mainly a fly fishing website they also have a lot of very good condition coarse fishing cane rods and vintage reels.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

It must be a dilemma for most of us, these rods are such works of art and can be expensive you wonder if they should be used, but hey its a rod for angling... so go for it I say, I have a Mark IV that I bought so long ago that I don't remember what I paid for it so it comes fishing all the time and I don't worry !!

Having said all that I have just bought a Wizard, 50 odd years old, that has never, and I mean never, been used and I'm too scared to take it fishing, so am looking for a clapped out one to fish with ha ha !!

...........and before anyone asks I don't want to sell it, not yet anyway !!
Best Fishes
Mushy

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Mushy wrote:It must be a dilemma for most of us, these rods are such works of art and can be expensive you wonder if they should be used, but hey its a rod for angling... so go for it I say, I have a Mark IV that I bought so long ago that I don't remember what I paid for it so it comes fishing all the time and I don't worry !!

Having said all that I have just bought a Wizard, 50 odd years old, that has never, and I mean never, been used and I'm too scared to take it fishing, so am looking for a clapped out one to fish with ha ha !!

Hi Mushy, :Hat:

.....go on, get out there and use it! :Thumb: They're not for looking at!

Unless you bought it as an investment, go out and enjoy it's action, savour the vibrations of a twisting, lunging fish at the other end of it, that's what it was made to do, not spend an eternity in it's bag! :Cool:

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Do any of you know what lines they use to suggest for their mk 4s rods? Any thought's?

I know though my fly fishing that cane is much tougher than most materials rods are made of. You just have to care for them with a bit of TLC.

Maggot's Dad

Post by Maggot's Dad »

Hi WildCarpFisher, :Hat:

8lb mainline...... good old Maxima Chameleon, nice and "springy".........no braids, pleeeease! :Beg:

PM sent.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Maggot's Dad wrote:
Mushy wrote:It must be a dilemma for most of us, these rods are such works of art and can be expensive you wonder if they should be used, but hey its a rod for angling... so go for it I say, I have a Mark IV that I bought so long ago that I don't remember what I paid for it so it comes fishing all the time and I don't worry !!

Hi Mushy, :Hat:

.....go on, get out there and use it! :Thumb: They're not for looking at!

Unless you bought it as an investment, go out and enjoy it's action, savour the vibrations of a twisting, lunging fish at the other end of it, that's what it was made to do, not spend an eternity in it's bag! :Cool:
I agree totally with MD, use it. That is its only purpose, other than to be admired.
I think its sad that so many top quality vintage rods are sitting unused in collections.

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

It must be a bit like the £100 float. If you paid a few hundred I'd fish it, but what if you paid £1500 or more? I just don't know. This rod will get used believe me.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've seen Mushy's Wizard.

Trust me on this......it has never been fished. It might never have even had a reel on it...the reel bands might have one mark inside them....or it might be from the manufacturing process. The bag is unfaded and like new.

It's like it time-travelled here.

From 1965 or 1966, it's 47 years old and the only thing to show it isn't new is the darkening of the varnish and the crease in the loop where it's been hung up.
I tried and failed to find a fault on it........

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to its value on the market, but some collectors would go into a feeding frenzy over it.
It'd just be throwing money away to fish with it....it's that clean!

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I was also initiated into the world of cane fishing rods with a MK4, a late 'onion' version that was near mint and un restored back in 1995, a first wedding anniversary pressent from my wife, she got a cat, it died a few years ago so i thing i got the better end of the deal :Wink: Anyway, If what you get is as good as what they say then enjoy without another thought for trivial things like money, you can't put a price on enjoyment :Thumb:

On the subject of expensive and rare rods, regardless of what they are, even Mr Walkers own MK4, if i was lucky to own it, would get an outing now and then, maybe on special days and waters, a 16th june on Redmire would be one :Wink: .I think of it like a car, if you buy a rare expensive sports car you would drive it, so why not use a rare and expensive rod, or reel come to that :Thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Nobby wrote:I've seen Mushy's Wizard.

Trust me on this......it has never been fished. It might never have even had a reel on it...the reel bands might have one mark inside them....or it might be from the manufacturing process. The bag is unfaded and like new.

It's like it time-travelled here.

From 1965 or 1966, it's 47 years old and the only thing to show it isn't new is the darkening of the varnish and the crease in the loop where it's been hung up.
I tried and failed to find a fault on it........

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to its value on the market, but some collectors would go into a feeding frenzy over it.
It'd just be throwing money away to fish with it....it's that clean!

But that is what fishing rods are made for - what use is it displayed in a room - is all you can do is look at it.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”