Walker Avon at Mullocks

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Walker Avon at Mullocks

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Julian,

Thanks for posting the link, the auction moves on very quickly. Mitchell reels seem to average about £10 each. I daren't watch anymore.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thought I had bought a pig in a poke from ebay -- seems one sold today for £80!

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

I know how you feel! Floats have officially "arrived" as collectables and I can now confirm that Hardy reel cases are worth more than their wretched contents! How I wish I'd bought loads when they could be had for £75 odd a few years ago....

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

SofaSurfer wrote:Julian,

Thanks for posting the link, the auction moves on very quickly. Mitchell reels seem to average about £10 each. I daren't watch anymore.
I think you may be averaging good ones and bad ones there!

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

VFC,

Yes, I saw a few job lots auctioned at about £10 per reel. Too fast to follow accurately, I'll check out the results on their site at the end. Do you know if the internet auction is real time or is it like eBay where you bid a maximum amount and let the computer do the bidding ?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

SofaSurfer wrote:VFC,

Yes, I saw a few job lots auctioned at about £10 per reel. Too fast to follow accurately, I'll check out the results on their site at the end. Do you know if the internet auction is real time or is it like eBay where you bid a maximum amount and let the computer do the bidding ?
It is definitely a live auction and so you make a one bid at a time but it's so fast it is scary.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I don't think my keyboard skills are good enough, I'd probably enter the wrong amount. I'd also need about an i7 processor in my laptop !
Last edited by Nigel Rainton on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

SofaSurfer wrote:VFC,

No its real time: effectively there is a man at the end of the line who calls out your bids as placed.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

SofaSurfer wrote:I don't think my keyboard skills are good enough, I'd probably enter the wrong amount. I'd also need about an i7 processor in my laptop !
I think you are wrong on all counts there SofaSurfer

When you bid on line in a Mullocks auction you don't bid an amount - you just press the 'bid' button - one click of your mouse.
You see what the previous bid was and if you want to bid more you click on the bid button - the amount will be a bit more than the previous bid - ie if previous bid was £ 50 then if you bid it will be probably be £55, if previous bid was £140 and you bid it will be £150 - in other words it increases proportionately to the current bid.

With regard to your PC processor and internet connection speed - it seems to make no difference - its all really fast.
When you register to bid and go into the 'live bid' mode after a few seconds a box pops up.
I don't understand the technicalities but at that point it seems you are then connected to their super-speed server, because until very recently, here in Milton Keynes we only had what I would call 'steam powered' interenet speed - a maximum of 2mbps, regardless of which provider and package you chose. This meant that at the weekend you would be lucky to get more than half a mb per second.
When I successfully bid for MKIV Avon it was, as usual for Mullocks auctions, a Saturday afternoon - and once I was in the live bid mode everything was instant - really fast, regardless of the very slow internet speed doing anything else at the time.

( Just in the last few weeks we have moved into the modern age here as 'BT Infinity' has arrived and I now subscribed to their fibre optic fastest package, and now have 64 mbps internet speed :Cool: )
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Julian, thanks for that. Just like a real auction, very addictive.

You are lucky, in rural Surrey we have stone age datacomms. I just tested the link, it is working at 318 Kbps ! The software told me I may have a problem. I do, it's called BT !

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”