Line strength for old mkv1 carp rods?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Line strength for old mkv1 carp rods?

Post by Snape »

Julian wrote:I believe there are guidelines that indicate the range of breaking strains you should use depending on the test curve of the rod, but I can't remember what they are.
I recall this from somewhere:
Minimum 3 x t.c. , ideal 5 x tc and max 8 x tc.
So MKIV 3.75 - 10lb
Avon 3 - 8lb
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Julian, a bit off topic but could you PM me some photos of your Mk IV Scottie, I have a couple but have never seen another example :-)

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Snape wrote:
Julian wrote:I believe there are guidelines that indicate the range of breaking strains you should use depending on the test curve of the rod, but I can't remember what they are.
I recall this from somewhere:
Minimum 3 x t.c. , ideal 5 x tc and max 8 x tc.
So MKIV 3.75 - 10lb
Avon 3 - 8lb
I thought MKIV TC was 1.5 lb - or is that later versions?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

SofaSurfer wrote:Julian, a bit off topic but could you PM me some photos of your Mk IV Scottie, I have a couple but have never seen another example :-)
I'll dig out aome better examples with a fish in the photo, I haven't got any of it on its own - maybe I'll take some pics of it.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

MK IV should be 1.5lb test curve or thereabouts. I use 8lb line with mine
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

MGs wrote:MK IV should be 1.5lb test curve or thereabouts. I use 8lb line with mine
Oops! :oops:
Yes the older MKIV was 1.5 and later ones a bit more. So 12lb max line.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Always make sure you use balanced tackle. If you use line that greatly under the rod's capability you'll never get to truly enjoy the rod. I see no problem in using much stronger line than is generally recommended (I use braid a lot anyway) but still setting the clutch on my reels (when I use the fixed spool) so that it gives at a sensible point for the rod itself. At least this way I can pull straight with zero pressure on the rod if I ever need to (rarely). So, I'll often use something like 20lb braid as it has a diameter similar to around 6lb mono. It does mean I feel safer about fishing around snags..
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

I use 5lb bs line on a Mitchell 308 with my B.James Mkiv Avon - 8lb bs line on a Mitchell 300 with my B.James Mkiv Carp and 10lb bs line on an Ambidex Mk6 with my B.James Mkiv SU.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Kevanf1 wrote:Always make sure you use balanced tackle. If you use line that greatly under the rod's capability you'll never get to truly enjoy the rod. I see no problem in using much stronger line than is generally recommended (I use braid a lot anyway) but still setting the clutch on my reels (when I use the fixed spool) so that it gives at a sensible point for the rod itself. At least this way I can pull straight with zero pressure on the rod if I ever need to (rarely). So, I'll often use something like 20lb braid as it has a diameter similar to around 6lb mono. It does mean I feel safer about fishing around snags..
I agree. I caught loads canal carp on a little canal match rod (Carbon) using 10lb line. I didn't own a carp rod at the time. It was always a fantastic fight on a little rod. The battles went on forever but I never worried about damaging the rod as I'd not tighten the drag very high.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

:Thumb: +1 MD. I often catch carp to 10lb (inadvertently) on my roach rod, 3lb line and 16 hook. The carp boys are astounded. You just need to be aware of the line and hook size and play the fish accordingly. If you don't bully them, you will be fine.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”