My new rod has arrived?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Macko
Grayling

Re: My new rod has arrived?

Post by Macko »

get a nice clean piece of lint free cloth and just keep going round and round under firm pressure, don't put anything on the cloth or ferrule.
a handkerchief or something similar, i watched Colin Whitehouse do this to one of my rods which had a tight ferrule which wouldn't go together.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

A good clean , definately NO WD40, oil or grease
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I put my new 11ft Sealey Floatcaster together for the first time today and the ferrules stuck. I couldn't pull it apart. A quick heat on the gas stove, my flat mate behind me looking rather perplexed, freed it. Perhaps a gentle heating will cause it to expand. Mine now goes in and out much easier.

If you do decide to do this make sure you cover the cane and whipping with a damp cloth to protect it. Heat above the flame, not in it. Also, if there is a Mrs. WCF you might want to make sure she doesn't catch you wrapping her best tea towels around your fishing rods! :Chuckle:

EDIT: if this isn't obvious, it is the female ferrule which is to be heated.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Clean the inside of the female ferrule with cotton buds dampened with water until they stop picking up any dirt. Clean the male with some kitchen towel dipped in warm water with a spot of detergent in it then rinse thoroughly. If the ferrules are still tight then they may need linishing, but ask your restorer before doing this.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Clean the male ferrule and the inside of the female ferrule with metal cleaner like duraglit. The surface gets oxidised which slightly increases their size and at these tolerances causes them to stick.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

WildCarpFisher.

Post by WildCarpFisher. »

Thanks all, wonderful.

Peteb

Post by Peteb »

Always told before assembling to rub your finger around your nose and then on the male ferrule
Works a treat :Hat: PS I do not have a particularly greasy nose.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Snape wrote:Clean the male ferrule and the inside of the female ferrule with metal cleaner like duraglit. The surface gets oxidised which slightly increases their size and at these tolerances causes them to stick.
I also do this and it works for me.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Moisten a cotton bud with saliva (slight twist on SeanM's advise but follow the same procedure).

I watched a programme about cleaning delicate vintage instruments and apparently the enzymes contained in your saliva are a non aggressive and delicate cleaner. I do this for every 5-6 outings the rod has (my Floatcaster that's prone to sticking). :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Hoppy-Doffton
Perch

Post by Hoppy-Doffton »

Peteb wrote:Always told before assembling to rub your finger around your nose and then on the male ferrule
Works a treat :Hat: PS I do not have a particularly greasy nose.
Make sure you don't put your fingers up your nose as it will make the problem a whole lot worse :laugh:
To enjoy our sport as it should be enjoyed, our surroundings must be beautiful, for your true angler enjoys nature as much as he enjoys fishing. "BB"

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”