Ebay candy

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Hovis
Tench

Re: Ebay candy

Post by Hovis »

Thank you all for the information and PM's
It really is a mine field out there in regards to cane rods, just going to sit it out and wait for a local one to become available so I can go and have a proper look.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

A visit to the fair at Redditch may be useful
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Yep it’s a bit far for me to be honest although I would love to pay it a visit. Just need to sell some more of the carb*n to pay for the cane.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

This rod in question chaps I have been given the chance to purchase for £150, for some reason the original winner cannot or doesnt want it so I have been given a secon chance offer
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... CO:GB:1123
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

well on present trends the bags worth 80 quid :Hahaha:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Chevin wrote:well on present trends the bags worth 80 quid :Hahaha:
:laugh:
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

This is what the seller says

This rod has come up again due to a time waster, who, after to agreeing to buy it decided he did'nt have anymoney. The rod is as described all original with no sets but with just a bit of split cane droop. The mark on the ferrule has always been there, not sure what it is but had I have restored the rod the ferrule would have been put on the buffingwheel and re-blued. There's a few marks in the varnish but no more than you would for a rod that's about 60 years old.It is the correct length.

What do you think chaps?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

£150 for an unusual James is pretty good deal. It's an onion handle so there a good chance, in my honest opinion, that the cane might be pretty good. The thing is with buying from ebay without handling the rod is you just can't tell how good the cane actually is. With some rods, say you were buying a second hand Barder that's four years old with light use, it's likely to be excellent cane. However, a 60 year old well used James is anybody's guess – if £150 sounds a lot of money to risk then it's probably not worth it but if you can stand paying £150 for a reasonably useful rod then it's a good buy. Conversely it might be a damn fine bit of stick and then I'd say you've got a bargain.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Loop :Hat: , have you actually got the rod , have seen some nice looking ones but then realised the cane has gone kind of soft and when you bend it the rod stays slightly more bent than before , but if bent the opp way it looks good if you see what I mean :Wink: When I buy my first cane it will be off a Forum member . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I'm tempted but not sure and because I'm not 100% I'll give it a miss methinks its the imperfection on the ferule and the droop that's putting me off

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”