Modern Carp Fishing - Spoof

This forum is for discussing carp.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Re: Modern Carp Fishing - Spoof

Post by Woodytia »

Spot on, I picked up a tackle catalogue earlier this year (Chubb I think), I couldn't believe how much non essential gear was in it and just how much it all cost.

Estaban

Post by Estaban »

Well written sir, enjoyed every word.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

ain't it the truth....? every word of it :Thumb:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

"There's many a true word spoken in jest."
something that you say when you think that something someone has said as a joke may really be true or become true.
:cry:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Spot on mate. My local tackle shop has been divided into two now, one half is just for carp baits.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wallys-Cast wrote:Spot on mate. My local tackle shop has been divided into two now, one half is just for carp baits.
And I bet that half smells like a tarts handbag Wal... :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

RBTraditional wrote:
Wallys-Cast wrote:Spot on mate. My local tackle shop has been divided into two now, one half is just for carp baits.
And I bet that half smells like a tarts handbag Wal... :Hahaha:
Must admit Rob, I am strangely drawn to it. :Confused:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

By the sound of things it looks like I have been very fortunate to have visited a tackle shop literally once or twice this year, thank god for Tesco's and Asda where I get all my bait from.

To be fair my local tackle shops cater for about 70% carp man and 30% match man and that's it. All I purchase are hooks, line and shot, normally in bulk to last me a year or three. Very sad I know, but what is even more sad is that I don't want to talk to anyone while I am in the shop, it is not my talk that I am listening to while I am waiting to be served, I just want to get in and out, quick. I have even found myself ordering my hooks, line and shot on the internet. I use to really love visiting a tackle shop, what's gone wrong. :Confused:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Did a double take on Mark buying his bait at Tesco and Asda - surely they don't sell boilies? Then I realised that he meant bread! (You did, Mark, didn't you?).

The demise of the sort of tackle shop we all knew and loved is due to the same factors that have driven many independent shops from our High Streets - very high Business Rates and sky-high rents, particularly the latter. The days have gone when the shopkeeper owned the premises and lived above it. It all comes down to the love of money.

Like most sports nowadays, fishing has become professionalised. It has developed a 'celeb' culture where an angler becomes famous because we're told he is! 'He's a staff member of Team Blah!'; 'He's a consultant for the Karpkrap Tackle Company!', etc. None of these people seem to have proper jobs!

This rant is not to denigrate those who write superb books, or produce exquisite art, or make top-grade tackle. They, at least, have integrity.

Thank goodness for the tranquillity and serenity of this Forum.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Like Mark I almost never go to a tackle shop.
Line, shot, hooks are usually bought online and the supermarket or village shop provides bread, luncheon meat and sweetcorn and hemp/maize from the local pet shop or Countrywide farmers shop.
When I have been on tackle shop it seems like it's full of stuff I don't understand about. oh dear.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”