Allcocks - Range of Rods

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Champ
Chub

Re: Allcocks Range of Rods

Post by Champ »

DaveTheRod wrote:and what about the Allcocks sapper split cane course rod.
I had one of those Dave.They are known as the Sapper roach.It only said The Sapper on mine in the early script though.I think this is correct.Mine was 100% original.I swapped it plus some other rods for an Avocet,Super Wizard,and A Tony Croft Avon Wizard if i remember correctly.The new owner had it sympathetically restored and then sold it!.It was a lovely bit of cane.Easily strong enough to handle good chub i would say.

Its listed in a late 1930s cat along with the Melody(a light rod),and The Wallis Wizard.The Melody had the early script.The WW has the green spiral.

JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I have a gold label Viking, I presume this was the usual label for this rod.

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

Thanks for the info,its good to help others.
Dave

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

Come on chaps help me,i think the roach sapper was made 1927-28-29 only,so they are very rare, mine has a red lable with gold and the stag logo,the badge is not perfect but good enough to tell what the rod is,any more info would be welcome.
Dave

PDuffield
Grayling

Post by PDuffield »

DaveTheRod wrote:Come on chaps help me,i think the roach sapper was made 1927-28-29 only,so they are very rare, mine has a red lable with gold and the stag logo,the badge is not perfect but good enough to tell what the rod is,any more info would be welcome.
Dave
A Sapper in roach action is described in the 1938-39 catalogue (see below) but unfortunately there is no picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Hi Dave,as far as i know.AND i may be wrong.The roach version had no mention of roach on the rod,but was only made with the early script label.I am sure that these scripts are a form of transfer.Its like italic writing in black in but they are very uniform.Ive only seen the Sapper that i had.I have seen a few Of the Melody rod names and they are identical.One rod at least (Melody)also had a green Redditch label on it as well.This label is similar to the stamp in the brass butt end but is a transfer(?) on the rod.

The only Sapper gold labels that i have seen myself have been on the fly rods.Sapper is in red under the black Allcocks. "The Sapper,3 joint built cane,similar to the famous fly rod on page 64,but in roach action and with Bells life rings." is listed in my 1938-1939 Allcocks catalogue as has been mentioned.

I would not like to say that the roach version never had the gold oval but i guess that the rod was discontinued before the gold oval was used.It would be good if someone has cats after the 38/39 one to see if its still around.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Apologies Paul i didnt see the page that you had shown. :think:

Dave you have PM. :) ...

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Agree with the above - never seen a Sapper Roach with gold label (though thats not to say they don't exist). Just to confuse things further Allcocks also made a Sapper Salmon! Really - those Allcocks and Youngs bods should ahve known that we'd be poring over their catalogues years later trying to work it all out: and they should have been much more careful with their naming!!!
Jim

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

Not a salmon rod for sure,its a bit like a lucky strike 11ft long.if it works here is a picture of the logo. Image

DaveTheRod

Post by DaveTheRod »

Thankyou pduffield for the info and pictures on the sapper rod,i am now enjoying myself on this site now and the members are very helpfull.
Dave

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”