B.James & Sons Avon -Maximum Line Strength

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
Julian
Salmon

Re: B.James & Sons Avon -Maximum Line Strength

Post by Julian »

PershoreHarrier wrote:
SofaSurfer wrote:Mk IV Carp with a 1.5 lb test curve was designed for 6lb line (4lb bs for each pound of test curve).

Therefore a MkIV Avon with a test curve of 1.0lb should be balanced with 4lb bs line.

I think 8lb bs line is pushing your luck a bit.
That's interesting - 4lbs for each pound of test curve but I am quite pleased as my set ups are not far off that balance -

MkIV Avon with 5lb mono, MkIV Carp with 8lb mono and MkIV SU with 12lb mono. I don't use any sort of braided line and never have done.
My understanding ( from information I've read over the years) is that the line strength that is suitable based on the test curve is between four times and eight times the test curve, with six times being the optimum.

eg MKIV with 1.5lb TC should work well with lines from 6lb to 12lb, with 9lbs being the optimum.

MKIV Avon with 1lb TC should work well with lines from 4lb to 8lb with 6lb being the optimum.

A modern carbon carp rod with 3lb TC would be suitable for lines of 12 to 24lb with 18lb being the optimum
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

From memory (very dodgy) didn't Richard Walker use 12 lb plaited terylene when he caught the record? I presume that he would have thought that breaking strain OK with a Mk IV Carp rod? Mind you, I guess that was when most lines broke at or below their quoted breaking strain, unlike today when your '8 lb breaking strain' (nylon) line might actually break at well above 10 lbs. The under-rating of many of today's lines might be something to consider if you are worried about matching the breaking strain of your line with your rod? Just a thought.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Post by JerryC »

I'm pretty much with Julian on this one with the action/balance/weight being cast also being taken into consideration.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I seem to remember reading in one of RW's books that he recommended 4lb bs for each pound of test curve and I have followed his recommendation (for Carp and Avon rods) ever since.

Hugo Curgudgeon

Post by Hugo Curgudgeon »

Carp Artist wrote:I would go for 6lb B.S. mono. Not Braid as it will damage the rings, and also for the reasons Beresford described.
I could not have put it better myself.

Regards,

Hugo

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

The chap who originally designed the MkIV Carp rod(!) stated in his book that, "My MkIV carp-rod is designed on these principles, and will take lines from 6lb b.s. to 12lb b.s. (dry strengths) since its test-curve is 1 1/2lbs. The maximum weight which such rods throw satisfactorily is about one-sixteenth of the load required to bend the rod as described earlier . . ."

It seems clear that these rods were designed for line-strengths of six times the test-curve, plus or minus a third of that. End of argument!

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”