Allcocks - Range of Rods

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Allcocks Range of Rods

Post by Mark »

Loop Erimder wrote:The Nimrod is a spinning rod and also there is a Black Demon fly rod
Thanks Loop first post amended.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Rod Turner wrote:
Loop Erimder wrote:there is a Black Demon fly rod
Wasn't that more of a Lee rod? The ones I've seen online have all had Lee badges.
:Confused: Dunno I was just perusing on inthenetuk and noticed it in the allcocks section now you mention it tes it had LEE on it
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I have removed it from the list.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Haydn Clarke wrote:It is indeed. A good thread. Perhaps a similar thread could be considered for Milwards, lee, Sealer, precision, priory et al.
OH,YES PLEASE.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Rod Turner wrote:Do you want fibreglass rods in this list, like the Billy Lane and Benny Ashurst match rods, and Duraglass spinning rods?
I DO. :Thumb:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Obviously we have the Holdwell at 10'6" and 12', but I see that for just one year the Guides list it at 11'. Of course there's late Holdwells too, that have fibreglass tips, as there are Isis and Combination rods.

I've also seen a Feathero in black fibreglass which is uncatalogued and I now know of two Superb rods that would appear to actually be New Superbs...two piece not three and whipped in scarlet not green. These also would appear to be uncatalogued unless they are in the elusive 1964 Guide. They aren't in the Catalogues for '64 or '65.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hi everyone,

Very interesting I've been following the topic, what do you think of the Allcocks Avon 3 piece 10' 6" there's one on the bay at the moment and what list would you add it to?.

I ask what you think of it as I own one that I'll refurbish in the near future and my initial thoughts were very nice rod but not sure if it was all original and whever someone had written Avon on it and was it a record breaker in disguise? After a bit of research I read that they are similar to the Record Breaker but with a little more backbone.

I have seen 3 of them in the last month so I dought if there's a conspiracy or trend with adding the Avon name to the blank, The link is below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Antiq ... 1250589687

Could I ask your opinions of the above rod I look forward to some messages.

Regards Trevor

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

As far as I am aware this is an uncatalogued rod, not appearing in any of the Allcock's Guides available to the public.

I have seen a few though, always on eBay and always in the late pale green and black logo created in 1964 when Allcocks merged with Lee Products to form Top Tackle.

Possibly the rod was very short-lived indeed, hence it not making it to the Guides, as it clashed with Lee products already in production.

As to the perfomance of the rod, I couldn't say, but I'm not impressed by a through-actioned rod only having three intermediate rings on the top section...even if the Wizard did too....and that particular example doesn't look too healthy.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Looks over priced given the condition it is in. It doesn't look as if there was ever a name label. So as Nobby says may be a short production run, not worth getting the decals made up
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Thanks for your thoughts, I wouldn't buy that one either, my rod was a lot cheaper same colors and the conditions about the same too, if it were your rod would you restore it as original condition as I intend to do or would you add more intermediate eyes to the top section and if you did add more intermediates what spacings would you choose?

I have seen the spacing diagrams for some of the other rods

Kind regards Trevor

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”