'Biography' of Chris Yates' Record Carp

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: 'Biography' of Chris Yates' Record Carp

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Have we had a U.K. record that was definitely born in the U.K?

Nailbourne

Post by Nailbourne »

Nowadays, I think the whole 'Record Fish' thing is beyond its sell-by date. It was valid when all the fish caught were wild in natural waters, but there's too much artificiality around - breeding, feeding, habitat - for a record to be of any value.

It might be possible to rear gudgeon, or something similar, in a carefully contrived habitat to well over the present record, then 'catch' it. Valid? I think not.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Have we had a U.K. record that was definitely born in the U.K?
Albert Buckley's Mapperley 26lb'er was, I think, the only record carp definitely born in the UK....
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

That's interesting, 5 miles from my door and I hadn't realised it was a true Brit.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:Have we had a U.K. record that was definitely born in the U.K?
Albert Buckley's Mapperley 26lb'er was, I think, the only record carp definitely born in the UK....
Yes, a true Brit - and the Andrews record from Cheshunt - the 20lb 3oz, - 1916 - certainly a Brit, as was the slightly earlier record by Otto Overbeck, his 17 pounder, from Croxby.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Is the Bishop considered to have been of the original stocking? I always presumed it was born in Redmire but I guess we'll never know.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:Is the Bishop considered to have been of the original stocking? I always presumed it was born in Redmire but I guess we'll never know.
It's possible that Clarissa, too, was Redmire born. At some point Leney stated that no commons at all were stocked...

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I was under the impression 'The Old 38' AKA 'The Bishop' was stocked as a juvenile in the 30's from Holland.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

The Redmire stocking was described as having a handful of all scalers (or similar) - so looking at dates and sizes I believe Clarissa would have been stocked as a fingerling. Similar for the Bishop.

I'm not sure you can state with certainty that even the Buckley fish, Cheshunt fish or Croxby fish were UK born? If you take a lifespan of up to 70+ being possible, what was the stocking date for these waters? I've got this noted somewhere because I'm a bit sad like that! I'm going to have to look.....

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

I think this is a can of worms here chaps :Scared:. I do agree that the concept of 'record fish' has been blown out of proportion a little these days. I think the size of fish is more proportional to the water you're angling upon. Just an example, but if the biggest carp in a pool is 15lb and I catch one of 14lb I'm just as chuffed as if it were a larger fish from a pool holding carp of a greater average size. Its all relative me thinks :Hat:

Return to “Redmire Pool”