Roach- a new British Record?

This forum is for discussing roach.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Roach- a new British Record?

Post by Dave Burr »

Records are relevant at the time of capture but so many have been dismissed over the years, sometimes just to give people a chance to challenge one, it throws the whole matter into question. However, the barbel river records as well as the National record, have been extremely well documented over the last decade and more. This gives as accurate as historic record of the rise and in many cases, subsequent fall of the fish's size. The reasons are often difficult to figure as so many factors have been involved from their new introduction to many waters, the 'advance' in modern baits to the rise in predation and a possible decline in water purity. Its all just data in a larger debate but, it is well correlated data that may benefit angling in the future.

The big problem with 'record' fish is the amount of false claims submitted to the idiot weeklies. You know the type of thing - here's Fred Smith with his 20lb barbel from a canal in Birmingham - show's picture of 8lb fish thrust out to lens with Severn banks behind. They print it which sells copies due to the banner headline, everybody gets angry and write's in which means that next week there's another surge in sales as people read it to see if the stories been blown.

Frankly, I lost faith in fish records when the Bishop was rejected.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

With some roach there can be no doubt just by looking at a photo that it is a true roach, like this German roach over 5lbs in weight :

http://www.fish-on-friday.com/2014/01/w ... -revealed/
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

The record fish list is a shambles. As a youngster I knew every freshwater fish record, as the records have fallen into disrepute I have lost interest :-(

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

That German Roach is a nice fish.

I'm with Mal and MG's on this, I just fish for fun, i'd like to better my own PB's but if I don't it dosen't matter.

I will admit to wanting to catch a Marsh Farm Crucian though.

MaggotDrowner
Sea Trout

Post by MaggotDrowner »

There are a few pools near me which contain ide. They feed even on the coldest of days and provided me with good sport on my floatcaster last winter when I didn't fancy pike fishing. I don't like the idea of them being anywhere near a river though.

As for records, I really don't care. Big roach on boilies and crucian carp on bolt rigs - its just all wrong.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Thinking in the other direction and following on from AC's earlier comments: I was watching The Compleat Angler the other morning and was drawn back to my childhood. I cannot remember the last time I caught a gudgeon, bleak or ruffe. These were the mainstay of my angling as a child. I would be happier to catch any of these now (not likely where I live) than to catch a record fish from an artificial rubber lined pond.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wandle1
Grayling

Post by Wandle1 »

I`m with Mgs....I`m just happy to be able to fish...

Anyone know what this could be...?.....It came from a five lake complex that's never been open to the public....

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

MG's you need to stop talking so much sense it really not good for the rest of us just bought a spinning rod which I never thought I would ever use again found a number of old Mepps in the loft which takes me right back to my childhood now very excited about using it next week if I can remember how.
Bumble

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

:eyebrow:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Wandle1 my first impression is chub