Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T3 (1915 to 1925)

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Allcock Aerial - Model 7950-T3 (1915 to 1925)

Post by Snape »

I decided to give my 7950-T3 Aerial a clean up today and seeing the grub screw was caked in gunge I removed it and cleaned it up. That was when disaster struck....
I was in my tackle cellar and when I moved across to the light to examine the screw to check it was thoroughly clean I dropped it! I saw it bounce and thought "well it in this area so I must be able to find it" I spent about an hour and a half on my hands and knees and have even swept the area and passed the dust through a fine sieve and tried going over it all with a metal detector. Needless to say I have lost the grub screw!
Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?
Can Garry Mills get/make me a new one?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Oh dear Snape, I would think Garry is the best bet unless someone on here can help you out.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

You want a slotted 6BA x 1/8th" grubscrew I believe.

http://www.screw-shop.com/standard-stoc ... ct-pack-50

I think the 90 degree cone point should be radiused off gently, but otherwisde this would appear to be it. and ....er....49 spares....

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Brill. Thanks Nobby. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Garry's your man Snape - to be on the safe side I would check with him first. He certainly carries some spares.

Cheers

Les
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

In the picture showing Snapes lovely reel you can see a number stamped in the side of the brass foot 21258 it looks like.I have one that is numbered 21185.Would any one know what these numbers are for please?.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

champ wrote:In the picture showing Snapes lovely reel you can see a number stamped in the side of the brass foot 21258 it looks like.I have one that is numbered 21185.Would any one know what these numbers are for please?.
So far I have drawn a blank on that on Champ. I'd like to know as well.
Garry can help with the grub screw (phew!) and I've have very generous offers from members as well. Thanks chaps. :hat:

Leveller
Rudd

Post by Leveller »

What you see is mostly several years of dirt and dust - it had been in a barn for many many years.

The surface of Aluminium oxidises, and that surface is very hard. As long as there's nothing 'nasty' around it doesn't deteriorate too much. (It can be attacked by both acids and alkalis.)

Wash, and wash again - toothbrush and mild soap only, nothing more abrasive.

Then I slowly clean with an oil soaked cloth and finish with a light chrome polish.

Hours of elbow grease...... and a little alchemy.....and very satisfying

Brian

Churchill, does this treatment also work on the xylonite, handles?
Or are they best left alone so as not to soften them ?

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

After a long wait my 7950-T3 Aerial finally came back from Garry Mills who serviced it, straightened the reel seat, freed the handles, and made a new grub screw for it all for the sum of £27.50 - bargain! It now spins for very nearly two minutes. Can't wait for June 16th to try it out. :Happy:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well worth the wait, good luck on the 16th. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”