Chapmans to close down

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Chapmans to close down

Post by Penninelad »

Have I not read on another site that someone has acquired some of Chapman's equipment but not the name? I think it was on another retro tackle site.I had assumed that the person involved is a current TFF member but I may be wrong?
Mark Davies

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Chris Bettis wrote:Let us wish them a happy retirement, well deserved but it is still a shame to see Chapmans close.
Just to reiterate a point made in an earlier post ... I'm given to understand that it's Brian who is retiring ... but John is continuing to fly the Chapman's flag ... albeit with a lesser profile and from different premises ... so good luck to Brian in his retirement, and to John in the future. I hope he continues as long as he is both able and, more importantly, enjoys his involvement.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Some of you who also use my Facebook page will already know this but just to clarify the situation, I am the person Buying most of Chapmans workshop equipment, and will be setting up a factory in Kent to supply blanks, rod sections, finished rods as well as other cane and traditional angling products. The cane rods will be built using Brian and Johns time honored and tested methods developed for this equipment, using the same raw materials and I hope to add some of my own products to the range. It will not be a quick thing to set up but I have the backing of the Chapman brothers in this endeavour, and we will be sharing many of the same suppliers. John will continue to make rods on a smaller scale, and to supply materials, as will I, but I will not be using the Chapmans name, that will still belong to John for the foreseeable future, but he knows if he decides completely stop production i would be interested in that too.

The new Limited company is in the process of being set up by my solicitor and accountant and I have several investors already, and may offer a limited amount of shares to interested parties in the future. If anyone is interested in blanks, rods, restorations or rod building materials please contact me with requirements, and when production starts I will have a full website with products services and prices.

The trading name will be posted once all the paperwork is done but will incorporate Traditional Angling Retro Tackle (supplies) or 'TARTS' which should be easy to remember. I will not in any way compete with the likes of Edward Barder, but I may step on the toes of a few other rod builders, although i have been making rods with the help of Brian Norman who along with Mike Harris and a few others have been highly supportive of this venture.

I must thank the Tff group as a whole, without you in this group I would not have known how many people shared my interest in cane, would not have been able to research many of the things which have interested me and would not have been looking at taking on this venture.

Thank you all

Andrew Paul Green

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

All the very best Andy will be very interested later when all up and running
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Yes all the very best Andy. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Well I wish you every success with your new venture Andrew. Will you be supplying bamboo culms in future?

Pete

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

I will be supplying Culms, and part culms in 5' - 7' lengths, as well as browned and split sections ready heat treated, and ready for hand planing forms, as soon as it's all set up, and once John runs out, I will be supplying him too, but I will be buying some of his stock to get me started as it takes a while for a container load to come from China :Wink:

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I wish you a successfull buisiness.Nice to hear that it goes on.
All the best,Sir

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Greentura wrote:I will be supplying Culms, ....... : Wink:
That's good news with Chapmans closing.

Pete

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Andrew, I wish you all the very best on this very exciting venture.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”