Winter roach

This forum is for discussing roach.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Winter roach

Post by Olly »

Stillwater fish react in many cases totally differently to river fish, water temperature, water depth, river flows, etc - all contribute to the mix!

A frozen water with an inflow creates a hotspot for the fish. A river that flows into the Thames is about 90% treated sewerage but a few degrees warmer than the Thames so in a cold winter is choc-a-bloc with fish in spite of being 15ft wide! A lake receives road water via a smaller pond - this again is warmer and livebait can be obtained by a net - no need for rod & line. Then pike fish at the edge of the frozen area.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Duebel wrote:
Thames Mudlarker wrote:
Duebel wrote:Hi Ian,

I live much further down south then our southern english fellows. Northern Bavaria, to be exact. The water temperature drops to about 3 degrees in winter. I apart from the odd pike or perch on lures, I usually can't catch a single fish in winter. I've given up fishing in winter for that reason and built floats instead.

I've made the experience that fish around here seriously start feeding when the water temperature is rising to 7 degrees and higher.

Greetings from Bamberg

Martin
That seems quite interesting Martin :Hat:

Normally when temperatures reach about 3 degrees a lot of fish start to go dormant,

Do you have any dace and grayling in any of the rivers where you are as it's often possible to catch these in very cold conditions :Thumb:

Stuart

Stuart
There are some small streams holding grayling quite close to Bamberg but they're mostly "fly only" and the price for a day ticket is sky high. No winter trotting for grayling for me unfortunately.
There are dace in my river and I catch them regularly in summer. But in winter I would have to search for them for hours only to persuade one of them to take a frozen bait presented by a frozen hook on frozen line under a frozen float on a frozen rod with frozen rings held by a frozen traditional fisherman ...
The only fish I'd really like to catch one day is burbot. They're known to be caught in the ugliest conditions you could imagine - snowfall, night, below zero - and I've tried it once. One bite - no fish - nearly frozen to death - will try it again next winter.

Greetings from Bamberg

Martin
Wow a Burbot, now that does sound a rarity, it most certainly would be over here :Hat:

Apparently there are also small amounts of em being bred over in Holland :Thumb:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:Great info martin.sounds like we have the same problem.i agree,it might be time for me to give up on them in winter.I must be casting among them and they must just sit there wondering who the silly fisherman is.until other people like yourself and Stuart confirm these thing its always a worry that I might be doing something wrong.good to talk to you guys,it really is.
Respect :Hat:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:In the south our chalk-streams are almost a constant temperature the winter. The attached shows the relevance of air to water difference.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00034676

Roach prefer to feed in a water temperature above 40F/4.5C - preferably around 42F minimum. A flood in some rivers brings warmer murky water rather than cold & clear winter conditions. Roach feed in the former after the river starts to clear.

Salt & melting snow is not conducive to roach feeding although after one cold spell I remember it started to snow and the roach went berserk, I caught about a dozen fish around the pound in almost consecutive casts. Never repeated!
Very true, quite agree Olly :Hat:

Stuart

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:That's a purple patch.i will have a look at the link you put up.i will need to get a thermometer fo next winter.funny though,I've caught perch when there's been ice on the water.
This is what I use Ian from my local Tackle box, I use the traditional non digital made by Reuben heaton :Hat:

All the best

Stuart

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

I will have a look into it Stuart.ive had passing thoughts on thermometers but that's all it's been,looks like it's time to push the boat out and finally get one.ive seen it so cold up here that even the grayling aren't interested.infact 4yrs ago we got down to -16.there were great big slabs of ice 8inches thick from one bank to the other.even that's harsh for up here.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have caught fish from the Wear where the banks were frozen solid - but the river was still flowing - air temperature about -3C. Coldest day catching ever for me!

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:I will have a look into it Stuart.ive had passing thoughts on thermometers but that's all it's been,looks like it's time to push the boat out and finally get one.ive seen it so cold up here that even the grayling aren't interested.infact 4yrs ago we got down to -16.there were great big slabs of ice 8inches thick from one bank to the other.even that's harsh for up here.
Hi Ian,

Mmmm at 8 inches thick I don't think I'd bother with the fishing, .....think I'd be looking for me ice skates and thermals :cold:

Stuart

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

The only fish I've caught in those really harsh days are salmon.they sit on the bottom and when ive been inching the float up to get the maggots just touching bottom I'm sure the bait just drifts into their mouths.i think your right Stuart,stay in the house when it's that cold.the rain is more of a factor up here now than snow and ice.the rain started in November up here and more or less didn't stop til this month,the river must have been unfishable for 95% of that time.spring comes along and suddenly there is a frost.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Ian wrote:The only fish I've caught in those really harsh days are salmon.they sit on the bottom and when ive been inching the float up to get the maggots just touching bottom I'm sure the bait just drifts into their mouths.i think your right Stuart,stay in the house when it's that cold.the rain is more of a factor up here now than snow and ice.the rain started in November up here and more or less didn't stop til this month,the river must have been unfishable for 95% of that time.spring comes along and suddenly there is a frost.
Interesting mate :Hat:

Stuart

Return to “Roach (Rutilus rutilus)”