Sea Trout

Re: Tactio up date

Post by Paul F »

Master at work :Hat:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

How do you avoid planing into a wooden former? and how are the grooves in the wooden former cut? It all seems so error prone? A testament to the skill of the rod maker. It's all magic :-)

James
Rudd

Post by James »

SofaSurfer occasionally you will catch the wooden former ,that's no problem i have made over 200 rods using those two Heath Robinson formers.
The first is two pieces which i planed the angles on then screwed them together ,the second i used a 60 degree router.
AJD

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

What a great post and thanks to Andrew for taking the trouble to take the photos and explain the process.

Sounds like your rod Bumble could be the modern day Ledgerstrike, should be interesting.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Best Fishes
Mushy

James
Rudd

Post by James »

The most challenging job on Bumbles new rod is going to be hollowing part of the top section without weakening the cane. I shall be using a router for this work which will be a first for me. He who dares !
AJD

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Good Luck !
Best Fishes
Mushy

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

James wrote:The most challenging job on Bumbles new rod is going to be hollowing part of the top section without weakening the cane. I shall be using a router for this work which will be a first for me. He who dares !
AJD
I'm following this thread with anticipation, savouring the photo's and look forward to hearing how the routing goes :Thumb:
I wish I could remember where I saw a lovely video of a jig someone had made using a Dremel with a sanding drum. As far as I recall it was mounted on a simple arm with a depth stop and the cane strip sat between a short pair of runners that matched the desired wall thickness (think they were brass strip on a backing). The Dremel was dropped over onto the strip, with the depth stop set to match the brass strip height. The cane was then slid forward past the sanding drum and the arm lifted once the cut was done - rather like a simple mill. The runners acted like an insurance against going too deep as well as guiding the strips.

I'd love to see how you are setting the router up - I'm a sucker for jigs and tool making.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Latest update from James.
Somebody once said " turned out nice again ' well it did words by James not me I need a drink.

km

Top section is ready for some hollowing. After searching internet it sèems the dremel works well so change of plan. I set the dremel up to leave 2mm thick walls. Worked out well. Top section glued up.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Bloody clever idea, what did we ever do before the Dremel ? :Hat:

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Latest update from James.
Somebody once said " turned out nice again ' well it did words by James not me I need a drink.

Top section is ready for some hollowing. After searching internet it sèems the dremel works well so change of plan. I set the dremel up to leave 2mm thick walls. Worked out well. Top section glued up.
Hollowed your top section then glued up. So far so good.

Return to “Andrew J. Davis Cane Rods”